1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Another Backup Thread, Please join!

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by OKara, Nov 8, 2011.

1. OKara

OKara Newbie
    None

Nov 2, 2011
    London - UK
    Hey guys,

I'm new Android user and I'm trying to familiarize myself better with the system for, obviously, a better experience, I'm a long time Blackberry user and switched over this week for personal reasons but when using my Blackberry, backing up my device was something really simple, was just plug to the Desktop manager and voil

Advertisement

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    The apps are tied to the account. But you may need an "app list backup" app. Kies does not touch the apps, or app data.

Also, app data like save games cannot be backed up unless you are rooted.

OKara likes this.
  3. OKara

OKara Newbie
    None

Nov 2, 2011
    London - UK
    Thanks! Odd it doesnt do a full backup. Just got MyBackup Pro, seems like a great app but still, I wish it was more simple and with native apps.

4. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    My Backup Pro still wont backup app data unless you are rooted. Sure it will backup your apps, but when you restore, your back to stage one on all of them.

5. OKara

OKara Newbie
    None

Nov 2, 2011
    London - UK
    Ow well...I guess I'll have to live with Kies until something better comes up. I hope there will be a better backup mechanism in ICS.
    Also, I cant check for firmware updates over the air or wifi which is a bit frustrating. When I prompt to check it comes with "Cannot connect to server".
    :(

6. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    You'll wait forever then. Android is designed to need to have superuser access to get to system data.

7. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Android App Developer
    NY
    You can root without installing a custom ROM -- this will allow you to take advantage of some of the more advanced backup apps on the market.

(also moving thread to Android Applications) :)

8. LateNiteMike

LateNiteMike Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 24, 2010
    Retired
    American Expat now living in Thailand
    A little history here....I've been on this forum for quite a while now, and I have read many postings of really bad experiences when using Kies....but....the postings were related to doing FW upgrades, not doing backups.
    After reading them I have totally avoided using Kies. In fact when I wanted to do my FW upgrade from Froyo to GB, I took my device to my Samsung Tech friend...and he used Odin to do the upgrade. No problems. :)

However, today another friend and Samsung user told me that he uses Kies for doing 'Backups', and is very pleased with it. From what I saw in the short time I was checking it out it seems as if it backs up Data, Contacts, Music, Photos, Videos, and more. It looked pretty impressive, and I've been wanting to find a way to do worthwhile backups without having to root my device and use Titanium Backup.

So, my question is,.....Is Kies great for doing worthwhile backups and terrible at doing FW upgrades??? Is that the situation? :thinking::thinking::thinking:

9. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    FW updates on Kies for me worked flawlessly. I plugged my phone in, pressed update, waiting for around half an hour and voila update finished. Kies working terrible may depend also on your PC's setup or whatever.

10. tcat007

tcat007 Android Expert
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    Texas
    I never tried Kies on my Galaxy Player... what does it do that just a straight USB back-up won't do? I just connect USB and back-up Internal and External in different folders all the files are there (even those that are hidden). An update... what is that? Will they ever update 2.3.5? I really don't see why any back up is needed... all my apps are either at the Market or at Amazon. I used my file manager to just do an app back-up, then backed up that folder to my PC so I know what I have. I use "back-up" in GO Launcher at least twice a week so my Launcher settings are backed up.

So it crashes and needs a factory reset... yeah you have to waste a few hours getting it back to normal; I've heard a lot of stories of Titanium not restoring properly... so I just don't worry about it. The only problems I've ever had is the Launcher loosing icons, and I just hit "restore" and all is well.

11. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Personally, the Kies Backup is there for people who aren't syncing to Google. Basically all the stuff that syncs to Google are also the ones backed up to Kies, except probably the Memo and Tasks (I think) apps since those does not sync to Google.

It also serves as an offline Outlook sync program for Samsung, like MyPhoneExplorer.