• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Another battery Issue

PEServices

Lurker
May 31, 2019
After talking to customer service, I took my phone to an authorized repair center. My battery has expanded and bent the front and back glass and the phone was separated in it shell case. Phone works fine but was no longer water resistant. I have alway keep my phone on Samsung's wireless charger stand and from the repeat fast charging it has caused damage to the battery and caused it to expand. Samsung say that should not have happen. Repair center stated to unplug stand when charging is complete. Phone is 3 month out of warranty so $300 later I now am poorer but wiser. At least it didn't explode.

After talking to customer service, I took my phone to an authorized repair center. My battery has expanded and bent the front and back glass and the phone was separated in it shell case. Phone works fine but was no longer water resistant. I have alway keep my phone on Samsung's wireless charger stand and from the repeat fast charging it has caused damage to the battery and caused it to expand. Samsung say that should not have happen. Repair center stated to unplug stand when charging is complete. Phone is 3 month out of warranty so $300 later I now am poorer but wiser. At least it didn't explode.
wow that sucks!!!!!!

i hope my note 8 lasts until the note 10 is out. it is still rocking right now with a decent battery life.

just curious what did you end up with?

Upvote 0
Had 3 note 8s since launch and always left them on a wireless charger, sometimes not even a Samsung “branded” charger. Never had any issues.

Ive now 3 note 9s since launch and they are handled the same way. Again no issues.

Point is there will be some defected phones out there. It’s unfortunate but a reality. This is why it’s important to follow manufacturers instruction on how to handle li -PO powered battery products. There’s thousands of these phones out in the wild that perform without a hitch everyday. The note 8 and note 9 have been solid phones.

Sad to hear of the OPs issues but happy things did not turn out worse.

Reactions: tube517 and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
wow that sucks!!!!!!

i hope my note 8 lasts until the note 10 is out. it is still rocking right now with a decent battery life.

just curious what did you end up with?
[pMy Note 8 now is a new phone with a glass/LCD kit (battery, glass, electronics etc) and new back glass. It was hard to use with the back falling off after the battery started to bulge. Thought I should post since I have not read anywhere that this could happen. I just happy it didn't leak. I was just disappointed after having two Note 7 that had to be sent back and waiting forever for the Note 8 to be released.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
If you don't like the answer that you got, then keep asking until you get the answer that you want! Try Samsung directly AGAIN. I'd bet that the would want to investigate that since it has already been stated that "it should not have happened"! Hopefully you will get a different CSR.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones