• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Another battery issue:

cdeen

Nov 29, 2009
I received the OTA update a week or two ago, since then I have seen a decrease in my battery life. But this week it is horrible. I am getting about 6 hours out of a full charge! HELP!

Anyone know what happened or what to do? When I look in about phone it says my cell standby is taking 38% of battery and phone idle is using about 35% of battery. What is cell standby? My applications are 9% and voice calls are 14%. I really think something is wrong. Any advice?

Before anyone tells me to read old blogs, I did. I can't find anything that answers my questions.

Upvote 0
My up time is 352:47:51
My awake time is 54:37:46

Can you tell me what those mean?

Up time is the time since you last turned your phone on.
Awake time is your phone in use (not sleeping).

The Facebook update to 1.3 won't allow the phone to sleep unless you kill it on your own. It's a major bug they need to address. In the meantime, if you open the FB app, you should go into your "Running Services" (settings--applications--running services) and kill it after you're finished with the app.

You can also create a shortcut to Running Services by long pressing on a screen (shortcut--settings--running services).

EDIT: or uninstall the update and go back to 1.2. :)

Upvote 0
I don't think that did it. I just checked my up time and my awake time and they are the same; 30:53. does that mean my phone is not sleeping?

I uninstalled the facebook update, and restarted the phone. The facebook uninstall was from the applications management screen that said "uninstall updates" do you think I need to do more than that? I also have killed the running apps, including the syncing. So nothing is running in the background. But now it says my applications are using 34%, cell standby is 46% and phone idle is 11%.

Any other thoughts?

Upvote 0
I don't think that did it. I just checked my up time and my awake time and they are the same; 30:53. does that mean my phone is not sleeping?

I uninstalled the facebook update, and restarted the phone. The facebook uninstall was from the applications management screen that said "uninstall updates" do you think I need to do more than that? I also have killed the running apps, including the syncing. So nothing is running in the background. But now it says my applications are using 34%, cell standby is 46% and phone idle is 11%.

Any other thoughts?

Install Spare Parts from the market. That program will show you what is eating your battery.

Those percentages aren't out of the norm though - especially if you've been fiddling with your phone a little. The up time & awake time shouldn't be the same though (if you put your phone to sleep and didn't use it for the full 30 minutes). Spare parts will show you what's not sleeping.

Upvote 0
ok I found where it tells me what is using the battery;
HTC Sense 59
Settings 36
Facebook 10
dialer 6
gmail 8
Hancent sms 5
account and sync 6
voice mail 1
market 2
spare parts 4

Thoughts?

Go to spare parts--> battery history..
then change "other usage" to "partial awake usage". If something is keeping your phone awake it will be at the top.

Upvote 0
If Spare Parts shows your partial awake usage like this, then that is bad.

calendarusingalmostallw.png

Upvote 0
Ok, thanks. At the top is Android System. It is 3/4 bar full. Calendar has a little blue bar, and mail and facebook have a very small amount.

Hmm..definitely shouldn't be that full unless you've had your phone on and been using it constantly. Is your phone browser on in the background and refreshing?

Maybe someone else could chime in and make suggestions to what would keep the Android System so active.

Upvote 0
Hmm..definitely shouldn't be that full unless you've had your phone on and been using it constantly. Is your phone browser on in the background and refreshing?

Maybe someone else could chime in and make suggestions to what would keep the Android System so active.
No, I havn't used my phone browser at all today. I dont use it much.

I have had to turn off the background data syncing to preserve my battery. I thought there was something up with the syncing too. But that didn't seem to help.

Thank you for your time and help with this! I really appreciate it. It is very frustrating to have the battery die so quickly. I've had the phone since november, so I don't think the battery should be done yet?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones