• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help another battery thread! yay!

so on top of all the reported HTC one m8 battery drain that has been all over has anyone else noticed their charge rates are through the roof? my particular phone still lasts me all day which isn't a huge inconvenience even though it used to last at the very least 2 days. but I've noticed my phone will go from dead battery to full charge in a matter of an hour... is this going on with any of you?

The only people suffering bad battery life on an HTC M8 are doing it wrong or have managed to break something.

People whining and not following simple, well-established practices are welcome to their opinions but it doesn't make those opinions facts.

The One M8 continues to show one of longest battery lives out there.

As for fast charging, both of ours are still pretty quick on a standard charger.

Moving this to the M8 forum, cheers.

Reactions: vosg
Upvote 0
rereading I should've specified that I've noticed these changes since the update to 5.0 lollipop. honestly I haven't changed my charging habits. have had this particular device for at least 8 months. and until the update last week I had a 2 day battery life. but I'm more interested in learning a bit more about the charge time now. it went from dead to fully charged in 4-5 hrs to now doing it in about an hour flat. what gives!

Upvote 0
What gives is that since the beginning of Android, it's used two separate operating system caches.

Just like with your pc web browser, they degrade over time, activities, and radical change.

Getting updates without those getting scrambled is like rolling dice. No matter how many times you get lucky, and say, score above 2, doesn't change the fact that a pair of ones are still in the dice.

And from what you've described, you've rolled them.

Now you have observables that make no sense - and it's only going to get worse.

If you're not rooted, you can clear one of the caches out by going under the hood.

Power off, then hold volume down while powering on.

You'll get a white screen. Go to HBOOT, then Recovery, then clear cache, then reboot. Don't touch anytime else, breaking your phone is not something to learn the hard way.

Give it a day or two.

If the problem still isn't fixed, backup as much as you can with Helium Backup from the Play Store, go to your main settings, storage, do a factory data reset and then restore your backup.

That's going to clear both of the caches I described.

The fault lies with Google, every phone manufacturer and every carrier in the OTA update game. It would only take a few instructions in the update installer and they're all too lazy to do it.

A stock M8 with Lollipop will surprise you at the battery life once untangled.

As for your charging time, there's no reason to believe that it's telling the truth about charge levels - your caches are dirty and need cleaning before you can believe anything at this point.

Sorry but the good news is, you'll have a great backup strategy - all sorts of things can happen to a phone and often does.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones