1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Another bootloop thread

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by meno87, Jan 8, 2013.

1. meno87

meno87 Newbie
    None

Feb 1, 2012
    Ok, first off, I'm not just stuck in a loop (well, I currently am but that's not why I'm here, I can fix that). I've had my OG EVO for a couple years now and rooted it after the first month. I did get in a bootloop once before root, all stock, and was eager to root and have s-off for the benefit of having amonra recovery. Problem is, I keep getting random bootloops. By random I mean I can't think of what triggers them, no ROM changes, no flashing of any kind, not even app uninstalls/updates, just a simple power off to swap batteries. I do have an OC kernel (freedom) and have it set to 1.11ghz, but it's set to bump from stock after boot completed. The phone gets stuck right in the beginning of the bootanimation. I have always used mikg ROMs (3.0 and now 3.11), and the phone has seem to always have this problem. I need some advice/guidance as to what could be causing the bootloops, maybe there's something I'm missing, or maybe this is just a bad unit?

Advertisement

2. meno87

meno87 Newbie
    None

Feb 1, 2012
    Well, I just got one step ahead. Normally when I get in a bootloop, I just nuke everything and start over from scratch, but I'm sick of loosing all app data. I just got into recovery to try to backup sd-ext (I use a2sd) and .android secure, and got a "Oops, something went wrong! Check recovery log." or something along those lines. I went back into the recovery main menu>other>fix apk uid mismatches, and rebooted. Got past the bootanimation, and saw my wallpaper again, with the notification bar showing connection to wifi and all. But that was it, sense never loaded. (I've seen this screen before too, in past bootloops).

3. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±

Sep 10, 2010
    Male
    Next to you
    Have you tried to knock down the max cpu speed to 998 instead of 1.11?
    Have you tried a different kernel?

All you did was try to backup sd-ext and .android_secure? not restore correct?
    Do you have a backup you could restore due to the fact all you see is the wallpaper and notification bar?

4. meno87

meno87 Newbie
    None

Feb 1, 2012
    Mike, yes I've tried different kernels in the past, and have also had the cpu at stock speeds and voltages (stock kernel packaged with mikg ROM) and still ended up bootlooping. I only tried to backup those two, as when I've restored a backup in the past, I still end up with a bootloop within days, no matter what all was in a backup, so I currently have no backups on the sd card, though I still have some saved on my netbook. I've found a fresh install after partitioning the sd card to last the longest without a bootloop.

I couldn't get sense to load, and I assume other vital parts of the ROM. Once booted the only things I could tell were functioning were the power button, to turn screen on and off but wouldn't show a power down menu, and the notification bar. I can only assume the kernel loaded correctly as the phone showed correct batt level and wifi/radio connections. Touchscreen was also unresponsive.

I plugged the card into my netbook and booted up in Ubuntu to take a look at both sd-ext and the FAT32 partitions and noticed that sd-ext didn't have much, two app folders out of the ~20 I had installed. I want to say the issue seems to be caused by sd card failure from running a2sd and dalvik cache on sd, but this has been an issue with both sd cards I've had :thinking:

I have already backed up and partitioned the sd card once again, ready to flash away, yet again.

5. Mikestony

Sep 10, 2010
    Male
    Next to you
    Hmmm, have you tried a different rom?
    And here's another thought about the random reboots, possibly, quite possibly, the age of the battery may have a role here. ?

6. meno87

meno87 Newbie
    None

Feb 1, 2012
    Update: partitioned sd card, boot, null. Not getting to the bootanimation.
    Flashed a different kernel from what I was using, null.
    Looks like the ROM itself is corrupted now. :(

7. meno87

meno87 Newbie
    None

Feb 1, 2012
    I've tried to stick to mik's ROMs, as I've read those are among the most stable, and they do work great at first, and I want to think that something else is corrupting the ROM during use but wont take effect until a restart. On the battery note, I switch between the stock and a seidio extended battery once in a while. Completely clueless...guess now's the time to give a different ROM a shot.

8. Mikestony

Sep 10, 2010
    Male
    Next to you
    ocnbrze and tube517 like this.
Tags: