• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Another Bowser Thread...

tcat007

Android Expert
Jan 31, 2011
Texas
I keep bouncing between browsers, thought Boat Mini was my fav, now Dolphin HD... So I thought I'd do an interesting test on the 3 browsers I have on my Galaxy Player 5.0. I turned on Power Tudor to test average power consumed in an application. Then opened 4 browser URL's (Facebook, Google, My Yahoo, and Pbase), and within each opened one article or page or search. I timed each from opening the browser to exit. Same pages and searches in each.

Boat Mini: 1 minute, 26 seconds, used 733 mW of juice
XScope: 1 minute, 48 seconds, used 661 mW of juice
Dolphin HD: 1 minute, 58 seconds, used 1040 mW of juice

I never thought to look at battery drain of a browser, I always looked at speed (and UI). Probably needs a longer test to be more accurate (like 10 minutes in each browser)... I may do that later.

I'm liking Xscope, all 3 were set to "android" UA, and it is the only one that you can pinch-zoom on the non-desktop pages, and the only one that lets you get rid of the notification bar (all the time). Boat-mini has a totally new UI on it's latest release, like it. Just thought I'd pass all these tidbits on.

Boat%20mini.png

Xscope.png

Dolphin%20HD.png

Haven't used it enough to know if I like it. Got it as a free Amazon app long ago, never used it much since I was a Boat fan. I really like Webzine in Dolphin, but I don't like that you can't eliminate the notification bar. One day at a time... one app at a time...

edit: After playing with each another 5 minutes per, the power usage is closer to the same. I am finding Xscope very nice in that it pinch-zooms in facebook on android UA. The new Boat looks nice, but uses valuable screen real estate for a frame to make it look "3D"... I'd rather have the extra pixels back! Going to try Xscope for a while see how it goes.

Upvote 0
What percentage of that battery consumption is in the launching of the app, as opposed to the running of it?

Regardless of what browser I've used (and I've tried many browsers), I've never found the web browser to be a very large percentage of my overall battery consumption (display and idle usually take up the most battery consumption).

Upvote 0
Just because an app uses a lot to launch, doesn't mean it's using too much battery. Maybe using 90% but only for a few seconds. It's the ones that use 20% constantly that you need to watch out for. Hard to measure what it actually uses to "launch" it's too short a span. Display does use the most if you have it on. Any monitoring app will use a lot if it's on, like I'm monitoring apps now, and power tutor is using 80%. Next highest "app" (other than system) is 1% weather and Go Launcher.

Power Tutor is using 600mW while running (I only run it a few minutes to check stuff). LCD is using about 450 mW (that's full time with screen on). So yeah, if using a browser at 500-1000mW, you are using a good percentage of battery (in any one of them). That's why I'm typing this on a PC!

What percentage of that battery consumption is in the launching of the app, as opposed to the running of it?

Regardless of what browser I've used (and I've tried many browsers), I've never found the web browser to be a very large percentage of my overall battery consumption (display and idle usually take up the most battery consumption).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones