• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Another day, yet another new Android device..

After regretting my Apple TV purchase due to it not having any app store (it never did say it didn't on the box, in fact it didn't say anything but the name of the product!) i have been really skeptical of any Android-based media player. i want apps! even Roku has apps but it lacks so much. when Android set-tops have access to Play, i will reconsider.

what is the point in having any Android OS or iOS on a set-top if it can't even provide the benefits inherent to either one?

Upvote 0
After regretting my Apple TV purchase due to it not having any app store (it never did say it didn't on the box, in fact it didn't say anything but the name of the product!) i have been really skeptical of any Android-based media player. i want apps!

Actually there's hundreds, maybe thousands of Android based STBs, HDMI dongles, TVs and media players, and they all have apps, thousands of them. Just look on Amazon. Think they all come from China though. They've actually become very popular here as well.

even Roku has apps but it lacks so much. when Android set-tops have access to Play, i will reconsider.

One of my mates in the UK bought a UG802 Android HDMI dongle from Amazon. It's got Google Play on it. He says it works very well.
Android Forums - View Profile: pianotuner

Never seen a Roku box, think that's a United States only thing.

what is the point in having any Android OS or iOS on a set-top if it can't even provide the benefits inherent to either one?

Android STBs do have apps, lots of them. Apple TVs do not, but then that's Apple's baby.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones