• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Another Froyo tidbit (surprise)

erisuser1

Android Expert
Nov 11, 2009
A couple of months ago - I can't remember if it was here or on XDA - someone posed the question:

"How do I uninstall an App?"

In response, a well meaning, but probably new Android/Eris user replied:

"Just drag the icon down to the bottom of the screen, and when the trash can appears, let it go."

Naturally, that was good for a couple of LOLZ.

How far things have changed!

In your Froyo ROM, drop a shortcut to an app on one of your home screens. Then, grab it and drag it down to the trash can - but don't release it right away, just "hover" it over the trash can!

After about 2.5 seconds, a little balloon will pop up which says "Drop to uninstall". If you release the icon, you will get a confirmation screen - you can either cancel out, or go ahead with the uninstall.

Who is laughing now? :)

eu1

Reactions: lambo172
Excellent, ErisUser1.

I'm wondering how many busy Froyo users, old or n00b, have gotten caught with their nickers down thinking they'd merely removed an icon from one of their screens, just by lingering a bit too long over the trash can as that certain female co-worker sashayed by.

:D

I haven't lurked in this neck of the woods in quite some time and the first thread I read, I come across Frisco and one of his pleasant, chuckle-inducing posts. It's nice to see things haven't changed. That is all.

Upvote 0
A couple of months ago - I can't remember if it was here or on XDA - someone posed the question:

"How do I uninstall an App?"

In response, a well meaning, but probably new Android/Eris user replied:

"Just drag the icon down to the bottom of the screen, and when the trash can appears, let it go."

Naturally, that was good for a couple of LOLZ.

How far things have changed!

In your Froyo ROM, drop a shortcut to an app on one of your home screens. Then, grab it and drag it down to the trash can - but don't release it right away, just "hover" it over the trash can!

After about 2.5 seconds, a little balloon will pop up which says "Drop to uninstall". If you release the icon, you will get a confirmation screen - you can either cancel out, or go ahead with the uninstall.

Who is laughing now? :)

eu1

it has been an option for some time now in adwlauncher which i know most of us aosp guys keep closer than religion. but as far as an option in froyo it is not, yet at least.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones