• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Another Kies related query

bilmop5

Lurker
Jun 21, 2013
I was recently given a Galaxy Ace GT-S5830i.
When I connect it to my pc, running Win XP, the pc doesn't recognise the phone and I can't access any of the files on it. I had a look online and downloaded Kies. When I run Kies I can now access my phone although Kies displays a message that it doesn't support the GT-S5830i. Having to run Kies just to access my phone on my pc is a huge PITA as Kies teakes forever to start up, sand slows everything else down
Is there a way round this so I can get rid of Kies and just have my pc treat my phone like another storage device? I'm not bothered about synching everything and all that stuff; moving images off the phone and putting usic on is about all I want to do.
Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Now that you have installed KIES you have got the drivers installed. As mentioned in post above disable auto start (will speed up your PC start up), after that install ‘MyPhoneExplorer 1.8.4’ from FJ Software Development. You can use this s/w to do everything KIES would do except update your firmware & you can use it with wifi/cable or Bluetooth.

Upvote 0
Like others have said, use the phone like a storage device, its better than using Kies, keep Kies installed because you need it to provide drivers, just plug in the phone, you will get a USB mount notification in the status bar, click that and your phone will appear as a storage device.
Another way is that you can use a separate card reader to explore your memory card. Don't forget to unmount the card from settings before pulling it out of the phone and always click the 'safely eject storage device' on the PC before pulling it out of the computer, if unplugged unsafely you increase the chances of the card getting corrupted and you may suffer data loss.

Upvote 0
Try the s/w I mentioned above. You might like it allows you to have total control of all your data & backups.

I am very lazy, i used that when i had the old java based sony ericsson phones, its a great software but it still ties me up with a pc, cloud services are much easier and independent. Just click backup on the phone and done! Infact i added a schedule to it, backs up all my data during the night all by itself. :D

Upvote 0
I am very lazy, i used that when i had the old java based sony ericsson phones, its a great software but it still ties me up with a pc, cloud services are much easier and independent. Just click backup on the phone and done! Infact i added a schedule to it, backs up all my data during the night all by itself. :D

Gosh U r even more lazy than me :D Some how I am suspicious of cloud storage for now , what with all this hacking & stealing of data/user details etc. I have a routine of taking backups of data on my computer, I do the phone bit at the same time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones