1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Another new phone

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Rgarner, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

This is a Moto G Stylus. It has 128 gb, thank goodness. I'm trying to set it up without googoo's "help". I just found out that Files is one of theirs and I want to use X-plore instead. I've downloaded it from apk mirror this time and it's been installed. Is it ok, even possible, to get rid of Files? What would happen if it disappeared?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Milo Willamson

Milo Willamson Android Expert

Don't you mean google?

Rgarner likes this.
  3. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

Yes, I do, but I dislike it extremely. I wish to avoid it as much as possible. What I want to know is if it's possible to get rid of Files and replace with X-plore?

dontpanicbobby likes this.
  4. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

what files are we talking about?

Rgarner likes this.
  5. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

I mean the app Files. It's the one with downloads, images, etc. Can X-plore substitute for it? What dangers are associated with removing Files (if possible)?

6. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

not sure i do not have an app called "Files". if it is a system app then you can't uninstall it. why do you want to uninstall it other then it is google? if it is because of google, why not just root it and put lineage os on it? lineage is pretty much pure android that does not come with google apps. they have a way to flash gapps(google apps) if you must have it.....or not.

just a thought;)

edit:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/guide-to-root-motorola-g-stylus.4122713/

MrJavi and Rgarner like this.
  7. Trom

Trom Android Enthusiast

Best thing to do, as well as the safest, is to simply go to settings > apps and "disable" files. Then it won't appear in your app drawer or be called by other apps as a default file manager.

MrJavi, Rgarner and ocnbrze like this.
  8. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

Believe me when I tell you I would love to root. If it were up to me I would deal with rooted phones only. As I have mentioned, I did root a Kyocera Rise, in 2014. I had access to a pc (not now) and the operating system was a much less zealous version of Android, rather than the current "protect us against ourselves" crap. The last thing I want is a nanny state/1984 Orwellian phone. Alas, using a computer is not an option at the moment. Why doesn't somebody just sell phones which are already rooted? I would like to have the "void that warranty" t shirt...

9. Davdi

Davdi Android Expert

10. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

Just use Xplore and ignore "Files" app. If you can't uninstall it or disable it, just ignore it. You don't have to use it.

I use Solid Explorer on my phone and never use any stock file explorer app.

MrJavi, Davdi, Trom and 2 others like this.
  11. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

/root.

12. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

I would like to, and mighr, eventually. The thing that worries me is the possibility of bricking a $200 (or however much) phone. Why doesn't somebody just sell rooted phones?

13. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Not enough demand probably, amongst other reasons. like telecoms approvals, etc.

14. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

We don't need no stinkin' telecom approvals. Our phones are our phones. What is this, a dictatorship?

dontpanicbobby and mikedt like this.
  15. mikedt

mikedt 你好

In a way it is. Because it is the FCC(in the US) and the carriers that dictate what you can and cannot use on phone networks. The phone itself is your property of course, unless it's carrier subsidized.

16. Rgarner

Rgarner Android Expert

If it's wifi, what does it matter? I understand that most people are going to use phones with carrier networks, but not everyone. This should not apply to wifiers.

17. dontpanicbobby

VIP Member

I want a new phone. One that fits in my hand.
    I want a new phone.

Rgarner likes this.
  18. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Technically that's not a mobile phone(a cellphone). There might be a market for such a device, Apple makes the iPod Touch, but of course that's not Android.

MrJavi, Davdi and Rgarner like this.
  19. Just wanted to note that you probably shouldn't go with the fxtec one.
    Their estimates on shipping duration are purely wishful thinking (heard of cases from people waiting for over a year, when the shipping was supposed to take 4-6weeks).
    But aside from that, the entire company seems to be pretty shady. Lots of complaints and stuff.
    See for yourself: 1, 2, 3 ...

codesplice and Rgarner like this.
  20. dontpanicbobby

VIP Member

in view of recent events I no longer want a phone that fits in my hand. An S21 Ultra-5G sounds about right.

Rgarner and olbriar like this.