• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Another Newb Another Day, Questions!

nerdstaz

Nov 12, 2009
So I have never rooted before and I am about to give it a whirl. I am not worried about the consequences really, I feel pretty confident I can follow directions.

My only issue is, after browsing these forums I am completely lost on what rom to use! I see some people saying beast and various other custom roms, then I see some saying "vanilla" Froyo is the way to go. So now my questions:

1) What rom SHOULD a first timer use?
2) Where do you find it?
3) What is the most newb friendly rom loader?
4) Can I use any of these custom themes I see with any custom rom or do I need the "vanilla"?
5) Does WiFi work in all of the Froyo roms now?
6) Are there a list of known issues with specific custom roms available or even "vanilla" froyo?
7) Will my purchased apps that are updated to work in 2.2 work?

I searched most of those questions on the forums (All but number 7 to be exact!). I never found a straight forward answer...so it just confused me a bit! So I appreciate any help you are able to give. Thanks in advance!

In my honest opinion here is what I think you should do. Go to the link below and follow my instructions for rooting 2.1 at the bottom.

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/82742-all-new-guide-all-things-root-related.html

After that, load up bugless beast v1.1, this is an android 2.1 rom, at Peter Alfonso

After that, load up one of the overclocking kernels if you desire (P3 and chevy are pretty good, bekit ran great with bugless 1.1 but doesn't run on 2.2 roms)

Once comfortable and stable with v1.1 create a nandroid backup with sprecovery.

Then go to Bugless v.1 (Froyo). If that is stable, make a nandroid backup of that and go on and flash v.2.1. If you're lucky like me, both will be stable and you'll be good to go. If not just go back to the last stable nandroid backup you had. If you aren't stable on any of the bugless froyos, then the 2.1 based bugless is a great rom to stay with until more stable froyos come out. You can also feel free to try any of the other froyo or 2.1 roms, I just find the bugless ones to be the best, but they don't work for everyone. They work well with my phone.

Upvote 0
Where would I get the plain FRF57? I see where to get the other 2 mentioned and I see some of the known issues, but nothing really for the plain version.

Is WiFi back working in this or is anything else not working?

Thanks again for the answers!

there is a plain version of froyo in rom manager under stock images. Its in the free version

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones