• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Another NEWB GPS Query

Napalm

Android Expert
Jul 28, 2010
Memphis, TN
OK so I don't even on an android phone yet.

However I was demo'ing a DroidX the other day and was blown away by the google map and voice ability. This will lead me to buying one of the android devices. Among other features.

Query: Can GPS enabled apps, work on the phone, without cell serivce. IE can you pre-load say all the US map and POI info into the phone so it can be used as a standalone GPS in the middle of no where.

Like on a Motorbike ride or a hiking trip?

The GPS Feature does work with no Mobile Service BUT Google maps/navigator does not have any type of cashing options so it is very limiting.

I think there are a few other Navigation app's that allow download (mostly paid ones) but i have not tried them, i mostly stay inside civilized places where i get enough signal to check twitter and update my blog. ;P

I know that this isnt a great help but i hope it is a good starting point.

Reactions: Napalm
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones