1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Another offline nav question

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by lew3g, Aug 8, 2011.

1. lew3g

lew3g Lurker
    None

Jun 6, 2011
    I've searched and have found several solutions for "offline navigation" but I have yet to see an answer to my basic question.

Is there a way I can navigate through dead zones (no cell service) and keep my navigation app running? None of the offline solutions I have found actually say you can do this; they just say the maps are stored on your SD card and you don't have any data charges. I apologize if this has already been answered and I missed it.

Advertisement

2. itsallgood

itsallgood Android Expert
    None

Jan 27, 2011
    I believe you can with CoPilot Live. This past week we drove to Mishicot, Wisconsin where I didn't have a cell signal at times and didn't have 3G at all, while there. I was able to navigate using Copilot and the GPS with no problems. (Thank God for CoPolit, becuase I used Google Maps to get us there, but Google maps didn't work once we arrived since on Edge signal.) We were in the middle of nowhere and the GPS maps where detailed enough, even for night driving. Didn't get lost.

3. TheHoodedClaw

TheHoodedClaw Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 18, 2011
    Male
    Keeping you safe from nasty things that give you c
    Oklahoma, cultural center of the Universe
    I have used copilot live when I was out of cell phone coverage and it worked fine. Probably true of the other applications as well but I have no personal experience.

4. Harry2

Harry2 Android Expert
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Black Forest
    Some offline nav apps let you check 'With data connection yes/no' in their settings e.g. Navigon.

Harry

5. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    That's precisely the point of having maps stored locally on the device. GPS nav apps that require data have problems when they can't access map data. If you have local map data then data coverage isn't an issue.

However, even apps like Google Maps and Telenav will continue to work if you run across a dead zone. Where you'll run into problems with such apps is when you try to initiate a navigation session in a dead zone.

6. TxFig

TxFig Member
    None

Sep 13, 2010
    Geek
    Texas
    Having the maps stored locally is only 50% of your battle - you also have to use a phone that uses satellites for GPS location. This is not something most phones do (the majority of phones use only cell towers).

I don't have a list of phones that do or don't use satellites for GPS triangulation - but I know that most HTC phones DO use it.

7. itsallgood

itsallgood Android Expert
    None

Jan 27, 2011
    So I confirm that with Copilot live you don't need a data connection. I used my Atrix in airplan mode and had no problem navigating to my destination.

8. MikeAusA

MikeAusA Member
    None

Jul 27, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Most modern SMARTphones have GPS built in - AGPS is built-in GPS with optional assistance from the network for faster satellite lock.

Even the $100 ZTE Android phone has GPS built in.

9. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    Once again, incorrect.

A phone with a GPS receiver uses GPS satellites to determine your location. That's the whole point of having a GPS receiver. The GPS receiver does not need cellular/data coverage to determine your location. The majority of smartphones have GPS receivers. Check the specs for the device you're looking at.

The GPS app may or may not require data. It really depends on the app. This is another area where people are commonly mistaken. Data requirements come from the app, not the GPS receiver. Again, if you have locally stored maps then you're good to go. Granted, if your app's other features (such as traffic, etc) require data then those features won't work while you don't have data but the point of having locally stored maps is so that you can navigate without data.

It's a common mistaken assumption that aGPS is tower triangulation. It's not. It's GPS. That's why it has GPS in its name. If you're not using the GPS satellites to determine your location then you're not using GPS. I know a lot of people use the word "GPS" to mean "any method of determining your location" but GPS has a very specific definition. aGPS is just assisted for a faster initial fix. It still uses the GPS satellites to determine your location. It does require coverage to download the assistance data but every aGPS receiver I've run across can fall back on standalone mode if the assistance data cannot be accessed. All that means is that the GPS fix will take longer.

GPS, of course, isn't the only method of determining your location. If GPS isn't available some apps will fall back on other less accurate methods such as tower triangulation, WiFi, etc. None of those other methods are GPS.

Again, if they're not using the GPS satellites they're not using GPS. There's no such thing as "GPS triangulation without satellites". The satellites are the Global Positioning System.

Can you provide any examples of smartphones that ship without a GPS receiver?

Did you ever look at the web sites for any of the developers?

From http://www.copilotlive.com/us/personal/android.asp
    https://market.android.com/details?id=com.navigon.navigator_checkout_us&feature=search_result
    If in doubt, contact the developer and ask.

10. davidtheprof

davidtheprof Member
    None

Oct 29, 2010
    I've used Navdroyd, which is only $4-5, I recall, and the maps are free all over the world (based on OSM, but with an excellent map file system).
    Maps are great, offline so no data, though navigation is a bit rudimentary.

Google maps - you can cache maps ahead of time, just scroll over your route at the zoom levels you'll need (just need to enable this in the settings for googlemaps.)
    You need data to initiate navigation (to get initial directions), but then it will work from the cached maps, and you can even switch data off.