1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Another OTA floating about? (5.9.901)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by amageus, Dec 19, 2011.

1. amageus

amageus Android Enthusiast

Rootzwiki thread:
    5.9.901? - RootzWiki

Original thread:
    verizon just sent me an update to 5.9.901

Android Central thread:
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/droid-bionic/142768-update-5-9-901-a.html

Apparently someone receive an OTA not leak update to their phone. It's numbered 5.9.901. He's reporting better 4G reception but this is still early. Can anyone check their updates and confirm if this is a true OTA? Keeping an eye on both thread! I hope for us that are using 5.7.893 or 5.8.894 are able to get this update.

Link to screenshot:
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/at...te-5-9-901-uploadfromtaptalk1324333690953.jpg

System Info of 5.9.901 pulled from the original thread:
    System Version: 5.9.901.XT875.Verizon.en.US

Still Android 2.3.4

Baseband version CDMA_N_04.05.00R LTEDC_U_07.1E.00

Webtop version: WT-1.3.0-108_DBN-24

Kernel version: 2.6.35.7-g83f1a47

Build Number: 5.5.1_84_DBN-70

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. amageus

So far 3 forums confirmed this OTA update. Screenshots of their update message are posted in 3 different forums. I am wondering if this new OTA could be a combined version of the other leaked updates or something new. I just hope this OTA will allow us that are off the update path to actually get on the correct update path. So far no one has obtained the file from the cache directory before installing their OTA.

3. amageus

Files were found.

Bionic Update (5.9.901.en.US)

Apparently someone looked at the updater script? and showed that it's possible that we may be able to go from 5.7.893 to 5.9.991. However it must be 5.7.893 stock. Supposedly it checks your kernel and not radio which 5.5.893 and 5.7.893 are the same. Hopefully someone can figure this out.

4. SFWB

SFWB Android Enthusiast

My wife's phone just downloaded this 5.9.901. It had 5.5.893.

She claims she got no notification. She brought it to me when it was on the unpacking screen.

I am running the leaked 5.7.893 and mine says no update is available.

EDIT: My wife's phone was rooted and I had various bloatware quarantined. The OTA still installed. I have to see if it lost root, I am pretty sure it probably did.

amageus likes this.
  5. amageus

Great! Now...we need that update D:. Currently someone is working on trying to see what we need to get the update going.

6. rogue_slc_vzw_rep

rogue_slc_vzw_rep Android Enthusiast

I just tried to install the zip and am on 5.7 but it failed :(

7. amageus

There's a couple of guys who are trying to get the OTA to work. Hopefully they can figure it out.

8. thetingster

thetingster Android Enthusiast

Well I used R3l3AS3D to restore to stock and start the process over. After I did, I installed forever root and then checked the "about" page for updates. Whaaam! I have an update waiting! DLing now, this surprised me because I was originally on 5.7.893.

I'll report what happens. ;-)

9. Lucidot

Lucidot Android Enthusiast

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you are going through exactly what I attempted. It won't work.

R3l3AS3D only reverts you back to 5.5.886, but does not revert the kernel or radio back to stock. The update will look at those to verify you have the correct kernel and radio for the update and when it sees you do not, it will fail.

10. thetingster

You're right. It failed. ;-(

11. thetingster

Worked my way back to 5.7.893 again. I think I'll stay put for a bit.

12. jntdroid

jntdroid Android Enthusiast

Has anybody heard/seen what this update does yet? I know a few people say it adds a few apps (like an Emergency Services app) - but given the size, I would think it patches a few other things up as well...

13. amageus

From what I have read there's a new radio as well as some minor revisions to other parts of the system.

14. rduckwor

rduckwor Lurker

After extensive reading this PM (and I mean EXTENSIVE - some people have diarrhea of the keyboard), it seems that 5.9.901 is a specific "PATCH" OTA for 5.5.893 ONLY. That is, it modifies certain key files (radio, kernal, etc) but does not replace them. Thus it has extensive safeguards built in to assure that it does run on non-host files.

Bottom line: Unless you are stock or rooted official 5.5.893, it ain't gonna happen. Leads me to believe that there will be other OTA's in the coming weeks. i.e. there are apps in 901 that we will all have to get eventually. So Moto/VZW will have to push to those with leaked OTA's too.

RMD

15. neil154

neil154 Android Enthusiast

I am getting message "Check for update is not available at this time. Try again later" Does this mean that there are so many people downloading that the server is busy or do I have some other issue?

16. amageus

Not everyone is going to get the OTA right away. It most likely will be dispersed out slowly much like the 5.5.893 OTA.

17. dave1812

dave1812 Android Enthusiast

you can clear that problem by RESETTING the phone. bummer, eh?

18. rduckwor

rduckwor Lurker

Turn on your wifi and try it after your data goes white.

Mine will check that way, but comes back "up to date".

RMD

19. neil154

How do I reset the phone?

20. rduckwor

rduckwor Lurker

21. amageus

I thought 5.5.893 rolled out to everyone? Interesting. Have you tried downloading it from moto's website?

22. dave1812

Settings>privacy>Factory data reset.

It's unlikely you will get to keep settings and get your apps back automatically.

23. neil154

Restting to factory conditions is not worth it. I have too many settings and apps setup to do it. I will just wait my turn to get the OTA update

24. dave1812

I hear ya! It took me two day to get my phone back to somewhat the same condition, following my first reset. the second time I did it in a few hours. I hope Idon't have to reset my replacement phone--knock on wood.

Motorola Droid Bionic Forum

The Motorola Droid Bionic release date was September 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4430 processor, and 1735mAh battery.

September 2011
Release Date
Reviews