• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Another Photon OTA update rolling out (45.2.7.MB855.Sprint.en.US)

What was the issue? I haven't had any 3G issues since updating last night, just curious.

I honestly don't know. I had done both a soft reset (battery pull for 60 seconds) and a hard reset, prior to calling in and neither actually resolved the issue.

When I called in and the rep did a soft reset with me, apparently the tech reps do something on their end that resets the device?...LOL...Never knew that they actually did something on their end while the soft reset was in process.

Nontheless, the 3G was MUCH stronger afterwards, so whatever it was that the tech rep did absolutely worked. Wifi seems to be a tiny bit stronger, but not by much.

Upvote 0
I also noticed this morning that my Photon DISconnected more quickly when it lost a valid wifi signal. Normally, with both my previous Epic and the Photon before this OTA, I'd leave my house, get in my car, drive a fair distance up the road, and wifi would JUST hang on but without actual throughput just long enough to be a pain in the arse.

This morning, by the time I got in my car and pulled out of the driveway, it had already disconnected wifi and connected to 3G. This is a good thing--it's terribly frustrating to have to wait for wifi to finally decide it doesn't actually have a legitimate connection, and then for 3G to pick up.

Very nice.

You leave your wifi radio on all the time? I always turn mine off, out of habit, just because it used to drain the EVO's battery like crazy whenever I left it on. Every time it would catch a wifi signal, it'd connect, then disconnect. That was even while on the road.

Upvote 0
You leave your wifi radio on all the time? I always turn mine off, out of habit, just because it used to drain the EVO's battery like crazy whenever I left it on. Every time it would catch a wifi signal, it'd connect, then disconnect. That was even while on the road.

I leave all radios on, all the time (except 4G, because I'm usually about 2 miles West of LA's 4G coverage). I like not having to micromanage my devices, which is a great thing about the Photon--even with everything on (GPS, Bluetooth, wifi, cell) I get decent enough battery life to fit my needs.

So, yeah, I like to be able to leave the house and have an immediate transition from wifi to 3G. If this holds out, the Photon will be the first to actually provide it.

Upvote 0
I leave all radios on, all the time (except 4G, because I'm usually about 2 miles West of LA's 4G coverage). I like not having to micromanage my devices, which is a great thing about the Photon--even with everything on (GPS, Bluetooth, wifi, cell) I get decent enough battery life to fit my needs.

So, yeah, I like to be able to leave the house and have an immediate transition from wifi to 3G. If this holds out, the Photon will be the first to actually provide it.
Hmm, I might have to give this update a shot. I listen to music at work all day through my phone and occasionally Ill hit a spot where I lose wifi and it takes just long enough to switch over to 3G that Ill lose about a minute of music which kinda sucks when youre really into a song.

Upvote 0

I'm going to try it. I just got so used to not having them on all the time to get battery life, but if I can leave them on and have the same battery life management, that's great!

Upvote 0
I think wifi seems to be quicker but have not noticed anything else so far. But damn 2 updates from Motorola already, the support is impressive for this phone. So glad i didn't return it for the galaxy s2...

I get 25Mbps Down and 1.92 Mbps Up on WiFI. Cant complain. My link speed is 72Mbps on Wireless N 2.4 GHz. That's Damn Cool. My Battery Kicks Ass too. I Highly doubt the SGS2 will get battery life like the Photon. BEST out of ANY Android Phone so far. Loving this phone:D My Mobile Hotspot on 3G is not too shabby either. 4G is Lighting Fast. Netflix on any Device (Xoom, Photon, 3DS) NO Bufferng at All.

Upvote 0

I do this as well. I NEVER turn off Anything except 4G (unless I am out and about and need it for web browsing (Xoom or Touchpad) or Netflix. I have ZERO worries about my battery. When I am in my car it's in the Photon Dock with Mobile Hotspot turned on for the kids and their devices in the back seat. Daughter can check FB (on Xoom or Touchpad or connect with her EVO Shift 4G) and Son can watch Netflix:D AWESOME PHONE. I really truly believe the SGS2 won't be able to compete with this phone after the dust settles. 2 updates already. it would take Sammy 7-8 months to get 2 updates:p

Saying Google's purchase of Moto Mobility won't give us Photon owners a leg up is foolish at best. Photon FTW.

Upvote 0
had the same issue today. I rebooted and so far so good. before that it was draining battery trying to connect. hopefully it sticks

If it comes up again, just call them. I don't know what they did on their end, while I was going through the soft reset with them (e.g. battery pull), but apparently they do things on their end that is supposed to help. At least for me, it definitely did help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones