• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Another ROM thread

I know there's a few threads already about ROM's but I want... well, my own one ;)

Basically, I'm using the LeeDrOiD v1.4 ROM (FroYo) but I must say I really don't like it, there's quite a lot of bugs (Internet regularly crashed and lost my open tabs, very jerky, wouldn't work well with LauncherPro, WiFi wouldn't sleep when I wasn't using it, plus more), and ones that are very annoying, battery life isn't great either.

So, what's the best ROM out there, I really do like Sense (the black theme also) so that would be preferable but I normally use LauncherPro but I wouldn't rule out a Stock version.

I like the Sense keyboard, is that available at all if I don't use a Sense ROM? I've used lots of other keyboards and I really can't get used to them at all!

So, that's about it really, any quality ones that I can try?

Also, meant to do this last week but left my charger in a hotel room, nice lady sent it back now \o/ :D

Typically, you shouldn't have to wipe for an update but sometimes it is necessary. One thing to note is that Titanium backup allows you to easily restore to your setup even after a wipe, although you will have to place widgets and so on again (you just wont have to install them or set their data and settings). Note though that you need to get the pay version to not have to sit over the thing pressing OK at every application install.

In short though - try it without a wipe and see what happens.

Reactions: gibbs1984
Upvote 0
Thanks both, just backing up now, how will I reinstall all my apps (apart from memory) if I don't back them up?

I didn't even realise this version was out, last time I looked v1.5 had just come out and it was very buggy.

I like LeeDrOiD, especially the nice WiFi and battery logos but these bugs were so annoying, willing to give this version a go, been reading about the updates on XDA.

Upvote 0
Thanks both, just backing up now, how will I reinstall all my apps (apart from memory) if I don't back them up?

If you wipe, you should get the Android start-up screens when you reboot - the ones that ask for your email address, show you how to use the keyboard etc. If you complete this startup then Market will download all the apps you had installed when you wiped. I don't know whether it does this only in a Wifi zone or uses 3G if it can't find one. If you skip the setup then it wont do it.

Also that installs or your apps, but it wont install any settings or data e.g. any additional email accounts you had on your client, or RSS feeds etc. Unless of course you backed them up to your SD like e.g. Newsroom allows you to.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones