• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Another rooting questions thread.

mlb

Jul 8, 2010
Central Fl
I'be been a lurker here for a while. I use to have a Hero and I've had my Evo about 5 months. I finally decided to root it and I would like to keep the stock Rom. I'm not somebody who likes to tinker with all the perks that come with rooting. I would like wireless tether, titanium back up, the ad blocker and removing bloatware. So my questions are:

Can I root and keep the stock Rom?
Does the stock Rom after rooting come with all the bugs that the other roms have?

Basically I'd like to root, install some of the above programs and have my phone to work like it always has. Any help is appreciated.

I'be been a lurker here for a while. I use to have a Hero and I've had my Evo about 5 months. I finally decided to root it and I would like to keep the stock Rom. I'm not somebody who likes to tinker with all the perks that come with rooting. I would like wireless tether, titanium back up, the ad blocker and removing bloatware. So my questions are:

Does the stock Rom after rooting come with all the bugs that the other roms have?

Basically I'd like to root, install some of the above programs and have my phone to work like it always has. Any help is appreciated.

Ya. But not all Roms have bugs...some run twice as good and some way better then the stock ROM...but back to your question. After you root then you will be able to use root permission apps . If you don't flash a new ROM you will still have your stock while just with the nad unlocked.

Reactions: mlb
Upvote 0

Yes, you can root and keep the stock rom. You can use Unrevoked or use [ROOT] ~~~ HTC EVO - Universal Auto Root ~~~ v2.5 (4/25/11) - xda-developers

I know you said you did not want to flash a new rom but everything that you are looking for in your stock rom would be in this custom rom [ ROM / 2-9 ] Calkulin's EViO 2 v1.8 [ 3.70 l Battery Saver script w/ Profiles ] - xda-developers This rom will also allow you to flash a custom kernel if you so choose. If you stay on your stock rom, you will not be able to flash a custom kernel;)

Upvote 0
nad unlocked lol i aint gonna put a key in my nad to unlock it!!! i believe that the stuff youre looking to accomplish can be done with temp root (z4root) if youre not wanting a custom rom (which i think you might have the old android fear of effing up your phone going on) as bolts mentioned, there are many roms that work flawlessly and are almost always superior to stock sense. but its totally your call man. we are all here to help if you run into a snag whilst rooting

Upvote 0
precisely! i cant tell you haw many people ive seen stuck in bootloops saying "my phone is totally effed!!! HELP PLS!!!" and by the end of the thread, theyre fully up and running with a super sweet custom rom and kernel and their brains are about to burst with new knowledge!! youre in good hands here man, and im nowhere near the most knowledgeable person. just you wait till ocnbreze or evomattnc or mr ed or (even tho i havnt seen him in a while) akazabam gets involved. there is some serious talent in this forum. just let us know what you wanna do, and well get ya there. and even if you do acustom rom and wanna go back to stock, we can even help ya wiht that homey :)

Upvote 0
I would say after rooting the phone, the most important part is a recovery and having a stable and reliable recovery. Most will agree that amon ra is the most reliable recovery for the EVO right now. So after you rooted, use amon ra as your recovery, then make a solid nandroid of your stock rom;)

Then have fun doing whatever you want to do with the stock rom. And if a problem arises and you are not sure of what to do, you will have that nandroid there just in case:D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones