• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Another Samsung Nexus - Your Thoughts?

I'm interesting in seeing what they do for the next generation of Nexus, but I think I'm over that phase. In the past my first priority was always having the latest software, but these days it's less important for me. Plus, I don't think I could take a downgrade in screen size, well, unless they make multiple models with different size screens.

It would be nice seeing a different manufacturers take on the next device, but I think they made the best decision by sticking with Samsung.

Reactions: breadnatty08
Upvote 0
Agreed - definitely grain of salt, but still crazy to see news of a new Nexus circulating already.

Not too out there. There were rumors about Samsung getting the contract for the Galaxy Nexus the moment the Nexus S came out and the GS2 was ever mentioned.

I have to admit that I'm hoping for Motorola to get a shot. A Nexus device with Moto hardware would be really nice. Throwing in a little bit of a Nexus style webtop action would be pretty cool too.

Upvote 0
Not too out there. There were rumors about Samsung getting the contract for the Galaxy Nexus the moment the Nexus S came out and the GS2 was ever mentioned.

I have to admit that I'm hoping for Motorola to get a shot. A Nexus device with Moto hardware would be really nice. Throwing in a little bit of a Nexus style webtop action would be pretty cool too.

Plus Moto is much more reliable with timely accessory releases. And Verizon would get one almost certainly.

Reactions: OfTheDamned
Upvote 0
I think the only problem with Moto is that Google bought them - might be seen as showing favouritism.

But yeah, after 2 Sammy's in a row I'd like to see someone else.

Which is unfortunate. Clearly Google has made it very clear they are seperate entities. And moto has not had one yet either. (Not that I like Moto hardware, but most of that is because of Blur, which won't be an issue.)

Upvote 0
From Google+

Simon Pasieka 8:46 AM
I understand why picking an expert like Samsung for your flagship devices makes sense, but Google should really either give a chance or have some similar program for the "other guys". Don't get me wrong, Samsung devices are great, but it would rock if LG or Sony or HTC could do one.

Jean-Baptiste Queru 8:52 AM
+Simon Pasieka - That's why we've been switching manufacturers for each flagship device (HTC, Motorola, HTC, Samsung, Motorola, Samsung). Same thing or CPU vendors (Qualcomm, TI, Qualcomm, Samsung, NVIDIA, TI).

If you aren't aware, Jean-Baptiste in an Android software engineer.

Now, this doesn't specifically say Nexus and I'm sure he is including the OG Droid, Nexus 1, Zoom and obviously the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus in there too. If that is the case, I'd expect something major coming from Moto or HTC to be the next "Flag Ship" device.

Upvote 0
I'd love a nexus for development reasons but the fact that its going to be Samsung AGAIN really puts me off.

Edit@ Damned, not sure why JBQ says that. The nexus smart phones were HTC, SAMSUNG, SAMSUNG and now SAMSUNG. Surely he was aware that that was the discussion.

Nexus yes, but flagship no. Flagship meaning the top stock device running the latest OS. That would go HTC (G1), Moto (Droid), HTC(Nexus 1), Samsung (Nexus S), Moto (Zoom), Samsung (Galaxy Nexus) and then ????. Based on that HTC may be the next manufacturer for a Nexus.

Reactions: SUroot
Upvote 0
Oh I see. Thanks. I didn't even know this flagship thing existed.

Well, they consider a flagship anything that is the first device to get the latest and greatest in the OS line. Since the Nexus 1 that line just turned out to be it. The only exception was the Zoom, but that was a tablet with a unique OS and we'll have to wait and see about the supposed nexus tablet to find out more about that. A case could also be made to call them the most developer friendly devices too.

Upvote 0
Actually the open Dev phones were out prior to being renamed as the nexus line. So, if your counting from the very beginning it would be HTC, HTC, HTC, Samsung, Samsung, now possibly Samsung again. I wouldn't bet on Moto being the next one until they have the sale completed and legal issues with patents resolved.

1)HTC Google Dev-phone 1
2)HTC Google Ion
3)HTC Nexus 1
4)Samsung Nexus S
5)Samsung Galaxy Nexus
6)unknown...

Upvote 0
HTC is having legal problems
Friday folly: HTC changes U. S. Android phones to avoid injunction | ZDNet

Google owns Motorola.

Wouldn't trust Sony after all their nasty behavior with DRM.

Who's left? LG?

The only HTC I've owned is a Flyer (well, an old WinMo from VZW also), and I like their hardware quite a bit. I love my Galaxy Nexus and have no problems with Samsung making the next one. LG's hardware is okay; they do produce some fantastic screens. I doubt Sony would want to play and I'm pretty weary on Moto even wanting to get in the game (surprised Verizon didn't buy them before Google did).

Upvote 0
I'd probably have no problems with HTC per se - but I don't want my phone shut off, reposessed, or whatever you call it when you buy your own, or any other hassles due to a patent squabble. I like my Nexus. Things seem a little weird sometimes from a carrier based non-rooted phone, but I'd buy one from Google. I've had a few Samsungs and they aren't too bad. I'm still miffed that Motorola wanted to charge ($50) for their phone management suite when every other maker gave a CD with the phone. The BB Pearl had a CD with a management program, so does the Nokia 6085.
I could download OVI for the C6.

All I wanted to do was to install the ringtones I wanted, and not what Motorola or the carrier wanted me to have. BitPim started me off on the whole idea of rooting.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones