• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Another twlauncher error thread.

aepoc

Lurker
May 9, 2011
Hey all. I'm getting the "com.sec.android.app.twlauncher has stopped unexpectedly" error message. I did a search and looked through the available threads, but didn't see anything exactly like my issues, so I started this one.

First off, my phone is NOT rooted. Second, I have GO Launcher EX installed, and it works quite well. I wanted to show my cousin how the Mesmerize looks with just the stock TWLauncher, and when I exited GO Launcher EX, I chose TWLauncher... and it came up with the "com.sec.android.app.twlauncher has stopped unexpectedly" error.

Rebooting the phone doesn't clear the issue. I have no reason to use TWLauncher, because GO Launcher EX works well for me, but I still should not be getting that error should I? Any ideas on what could be the culprit? I'm on US Cellular, running Android 2.2, Froyo.

Thanks all.

I have not had the issue, so I can't comment on anything I know has worked or not worked.

When you are using another launcher by default, does it still give you the error?

If not, then I would not worry about it and just keep on using the GO launcher.

If it is creating a problem for you, the only suggestion I can think of is to do a factory reset. TWL is a stock system app, so that may be the only thing that corrects the issue.

Good luck with what you try to do, and let us know how it goes.

Upvote 0
I user GO Launcher by default. I just wanted to try switching back to TWL to show my cousin, and it got me that error. The phone works just fine when using GO Launcher, and I only get the error when I manually try to exit GO Launcher and use TWL. The factory reset isn't a bad idea. I've never done anything like that though.. will I have to re-activate my phone or anything funky like that? What's the easiest way to backup my contacts and what-not beforehand? I has US Cellular, so I assume My Contacts Backup, right?

Thanks much for the help. I appreciate it.

Upvote 0
A factory reset completely wipes your phone and starts over. You would have, for all practical purposes, a phone that just came out of the box.

If you are using GO launcher, and having no issues, I wouldn't worry about it.

If it starts to become an issue more frequently, then yes, backup and reset.

I would suggest backing up all of your contacts to your Google account, not my contacts backup. Among many reasons, it is your account for your phone anyway, and it isn't tied to USCC. If you go to another carrier some day and get another android phone, your contacts are already moved over. Plus, your Google account backs up your paid apps already. You would only lose personal data and free apps.

If you want to root the device before you do it, you can root and install titanium backup pro. This will allow you to save app data. Then you won't have to start all over again on Angry Birds. :D

Upvote 0
I get the twlauncher error and I have to select force close on it. I did not have this error prior to the upgrade to 2.2 though! I am also with US Cellular and our main office is always so packed that I haven't been brave enough to go in there and try to find out what the problem is. I may try another launcher.

Upvote 0
I get the twlauncher error and I have to select force close on it. I did not have this error prior to the upgrade to 2.2 though! I am also with US Cellular and our main office is always so packed that I haven't been brave enough to go in there and try to find out what the problem is. I may try another launcher.

Try another launcher anyway. You'll like how much more you can customize and tweak it. Plus your phone will run better.

Upvote 0
Download another launcher app (GO, LauncherPro, ADW) and use that instead of TWL

Unfortunately, if the problem is as I believe it is, it would be impossible for these people to install a 3rd party UI via Market due to the constant force closure of TWL.

In this case, I would attempt a hard restore to wipe the phone and start from scratch. If you never backed up your information before via Google contacts, then don't worry too much as USCC has the automatic My Contacts Backup. To restore your phone, follow these steps:

*This only works with Samsung Mesmerize I500 Galaxy S Phones*

1. Remove the battery from the phone.

2. Remove your SD card if you do not wish to lose sensitive data. (i.e. contacts, pictures, music, etc.)

3. Place the battery back in to the phone and apply the back cover if necessary.

4. Before turning the phone back on, press and hold the volume UP and DOWN buttons. It may seem a little odd, but its doable.

5. While holding down the volume UP and DOWN buttons, press and hold the POWER button until you see the SAMSUNG logo and release the power button.

6. You will then be directed to the OS backup tool.

7. Use the volume UP and DOWN buttons to select the option regarding Factory Restore or System Restore.

8. Press the HOME key on your phone to select the proper command. You will then be prompted to acknowledge the choice you made.

9. Press volume UP for YES. Your phone will now start reformat itself back to how it was when you first pulled it out of the box.

I would really like to figure out why these custom UIs are doing this to the phones. It happened with my Launcher7 app and apparently it happened with the OP's GO Launcher EX.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones