1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

another unroot question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by evoflipped, Apr 20, 2012.

1. evoflipped

evoflipped Member

Reading guides and other posts however, I thought I read somewhere that the latest OTA would unroot. Any facts to this as I need to unroot to get replacement phone due to defective charging port. Or shall I just soak in some dirty water overnight ?????

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

3. evoflipped

evoflipped Member

I've been reading the unroot however in last few months an OTA update came out that many were ranting about would unroot if installed. Any input on the OTA. I hate to get tied up for couple hours tonight unrooting but looks like I'm got to go the long way.

4. ocnbrze

never accept an ota while you are rooted. one of the few consequences that can happen is that you can get unrooted. the others are that you can be in a weird state with s-on with a custom recovery or it could even brick your phone.

if you want to just update to the latest ota then all you will need to do is flash a rom that has the latest 4.67 ota. i would try mikg3.11 it is waaay better then stock.

5. evoflipped

evoflipped Member

I understand what you are saying, however, I'm not concerned with the usability of the phone because im getting a replacement.

6. ocnbrze

sorry i'm just confused then on what you are asking about the ota's. what ota are you on? what is your hboot? if it is 2.18 then use the guide i provided to unroot you. if you have 6.16 or 6,17 then use the http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...ooting-dummies-guide-gingerbread-edition.html.

7. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

He is rooted and thinking about trying to accept the newest OTA for it to unroot him.

If your not on H-boot 2.18 unrooting is done in like 20 minutes.

Also, asurion and sprint generally don't care that you are rooted because this isnt a root related issue

8. evoflipped

evoflipped Member

Rxpert83.....you got it. Maybe I wasn't clear on original post, sorry.

Sprint tech says I have to unroot because Sprint associates charging issues with custom kernels.

Hboot 6.16
    Software 4.67.651.3

I thought there was a newer OTA that would unroot a rooted phone. I feel I just need to go back to s-off. Maybe 220volts will unroot too.....what u think.

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews