• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Another which phone do I buy question

jennn

Jan 1, 2010
I am currently on my 3rd Samsung Moment phone (had to buy 2 refurbished ones because the charger port kept breaking). I originally bought this for the hard keyboard but so fed up that I'm willing to take a virtual keyboard now.

I loved this phone when I initially got it but after about a year I was ready to throw it against a wall. It has become very slow and unreliable. My biggest complaint is trying to dial out. If I make a call or end a call I need to wait like a minute before my phone will dial again. And sometimes it won't let me pick up incoming calls. And just the overall phone slowness is frustrating.

I do not root my phone or make any changes to it. I don't know much about specs. I just want one that works. I mainly text, use the internet and then voice calls. I do some picture taking, not a lot though.

This whole experience has really made me never to want to buy a Samsung phone again but ....

I'm looking at :

Photon
Epic Touch
EVO 3D (although I'm not big on the 3D part so that is not a selling point for me)
Evo Shift

I know the Epic coming out is supposed to be great but it's Samsung and that has me worried. The Evo Shift has been out for a while now and so not sure if it's worth getting.

Any advice? Any other new phones coming out soon I should just wait for? Price is not a concern.

Any help would be appreciated.

If you can wait, the Epic Touch 4G will be your best bet. It will be a flagship superphone for a long time. If you want something now, go for the Photon. The Photon is almost as good as the SGSII but for dev community isn't that big.

Both of the phones I listed have big screens and fair to great battery life (no one knows the battery life of the Epic Touch yet). If you need a smaller screen go with the EVO Shift if you want the keyboard or the 3D, if not.

Upvote 0
Get the photon ...the 3d sucks

Lol there are so many reasons why the EVO 3D is far superior to the Photon. I work for Sprint and have had both. I have done a complete teardown of both. The EVO 3D has better build quality, better software support, a faster processor, MHL, and a better camera. Not to mention if youre not going with a custom ROM, Sense 3.0 is wayyy better than Motoblur.

Dont get me wrong the Photon is a nice phone, but right now is second best to the 3D. I might even pass on the SGS2 when it comes out just because HTC's software support is just that much better than the rest.

Upvote 0
Have had my EVO 3D since 6/23 and am still absolutely in love with it. Rooted on stock updated ROM right now. This thing is smokin'. I personally like Sense 3.0 and Android 2.3.4.Use the 3D aspect much more than I thought I would and enjoy the full mirroring of the phone using mhl, which also allows the viewing of 3D media on a non-3D tv. I have not even considered changing to a different device.

Upvote 0
The Samsung Epic 4G Touch (Galaxy S2) is coming out September 16th and will be the most powerful phone on Sprint.

Pros
-4.52 in. Super Amoled Plus display (With Gorilla Glass for an extra durable) which is arguably the best display on the market and saves more energy than LCD screens. (The phone's size is barely noticeably bigger than the EVO 3D)
-Thinnest SmartPhone on Sprint: 9.59 mm vs 12.05 mm (EVO 3D)
-1.2 GHz Samsung Exynos Processor w/ Mali-400 GPU (The most powerful chipset in any phone to date)
-1800 mAh battery
-Fastest Mobile Browser
-8mp Cam w/ 2mp FF Cam; Shoots High Profile 1080p HD Video (Arguably the best phone camera on the market)
-Supports High profile MP4, MLK, DivX, Xvid, etc. video playback formats (Samsung phones are the only phones that support Divx and Xvid)
-TouchWiz 4.0 UI, with more functions than any other UI, including Motion Features

Cons
-Samsung's support has lacked on the previous SGS but from the SGS2 forums I've read through, they have been getting a lot of support for this phone.
-No Kickstand (Not that important but kinda handy)
-WVGA Resolution (800x480) vs. qHD resolution (960x540) on EVO 3D and Photon, but the Super Amoled Plus display more than makes up for this

Here's Part 1 of the Wirefly Review:
Samsung Epic 4G Touch Review - Part 1 - YouTube

A Hands-On video that shows the Motion Features (Skip to 1:35):
Sprint Samsung Galaxy S II Epic Touch 4G Hands-On - YouTube

Upvote 0
Really, Jenn, the answer to your question is to get the one you like the most. Go to the Sprint store and get in some hands-on time. Everyone is different and what may be important to you may not be important to me. Since I have a phone for work, mine is strictly used for entertainment purposes and social networking. The EVO 3D is great for me because of the mhl technology, screen quality, Sense 3.0 (I happen to like it, some people don't), fast processor, and the 3D aspect itself. Just another piece of information, right now the EVO 3D and Epic Touch are the only two Sprint devices approved by the FCC for the EMSR bands, which are a part of the Sprint Vision rollout. Again, these factors may or may not matter to you.

I also think there is a misconception about the 3D in the EVO 3D. It is only in use if you turn it on when taking pictures or filming video. It is not a part of the UI at all. Had the device been named The EVO II or EVO NG (Next Generation) I do not believe people would have perceived it as being "gimmicky."

Good luck in your quest! :D

This is a great time to be phone shopping, that's for sure!

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the replies. My biggest concern is that I liked my Samsung Moment initially but it has since become nothing but a piece of junk and just plain does not work well. I really didn't think I'd every go back but I'm kind of eyeing the Epic Touch but very worried that it will turn into a big pile of steaming dung and I'll be stuck with it till my next upgrade.

I think I'm down between the EVO/EVO 3D and the Epic.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the replies. My biggest concern is that I liked my Samsung Moment initially but it has since become nothing but a piece of junk and just plain does not work well. I really didn't think I'd every go back but I'm kind of eyeing the Epic Touch but very worried that it will turn into a big pile of steaming dung and I'll be stuck with it till my next upgrade.

The thing that turned the Moment into a piece of junk was the 2.1 eclair that was too much for the Moment's crappy processor. It was a good phone until that update came and ruined everything. So you shouldn't have worry about the Epic Touch because that could easily last the 2 years.

Reactions: BenChase7
Upvote 0

Good choices. Either of those phones will be much more future proof than the Samsung Moment was when it came out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones