1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Another Wifi "Obtaining IP" Post...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Dang13, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Dang13

Dang13 Lurker

My first time on this site, great resource for my new Samsung Captivate!

I have done all I can do and read all I could find on this darn problem, but I still can't connect to my Wifi.

I see my network and when I try to connect I get the "obtaining ip address..." and followed by a "unsuccessfull" after a little while.

I have tried the following to fix it, with no luck:
    • reset phone to factory
    • removed all security on the router (ran it open) (Lynksys WRT54GS).
    • unplugged the router and restart
    Not sure where to go from here? I have laptop, Wii... all running fine on the network.

Thank you in advance for any assist you can give!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. DT

DT Android Expert

First, make sure you're running the same security protocol on your router and phone configuration (and/or make sure the selected one is active on your router).

Next, I'd try setting up a static IP (and DNS/Gateway) on your phone. I know that's not totally convenient for using WiFi outside your house, but it will at least determine if your phone can make _any_ WiFi connection via your existing equipment.

3. Dang13

Dang13 Lurker

Thank you for the starter.

I am running open (no security) as I attempt to connect, so I think I'm good there.

I fear I am very ignorant on router workings. I looked at the "Basic Setup" tab on my router and am a bit confused at how to proceed. I see the area where I choose the static ip from the dropdown, but am not sure where to get the information to fill in the fields. Also a but confused on the same screen (tab) regarding enable/disable DHCP server as I see references to static DNS1, DNS2...

If I reset the router to default, like I did, and am running it wide open, shouldn't that be all that's required?

Again, thank you.

Samsung Captivate Forum

The Samsung Captivate release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Hummingbird processor, and 1500mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews