1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Answer for 2011, Using GV to replace call/txt plan

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by DirtAddsHP, Feb 21, 2011.

1. DirtAddsHP

DirtAddsHP Member
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    Hello,

Please forgive me as this is my first post on this forum. I am fed up paying $200 a month for a bad signal and i keep hearing that i can replace my phone/txt plan with google voice but i also need a app called Gizmo5?

I know this has been posted before but the posts i keep finding are oldish (6 months+) and i figured maybe google has changed their setup a little bit.

So my question is can i cancel my txt/phone plan, keep my unlimited data. And use "just" GV (Google Voice) to make and recieve calls and texts and get voicemails?

If so is there an up to date guide? the only detailed guide ive seen is on lifehacker and its nearly 2 years old.

thank you!

Advertisement

2. DirtAddsHP

DirtAddsHP Member
    None

Feb 21, 2011
  3. drdoom

drdoom Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    College Student
    North Carolina
  4. Stupifier

Stupifier Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 9, 2010
    Remember though....You call/txt ability will now be solely based on your current internet connection. I wonder which has better coverage these days.....Internet (3G/4G) or Voice

5. drdoom

drdoom Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    College Student
    North Carolina
    You can also use WiFi. Factoring that in, internet has a greater coverage area.

6. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Android Expert
    None

Nov 1, 2009
    Google voice can definitely replace a text plan. Make sure to call your carrier to disallow all texting to make sure you don't get any charges.

7. Stupifier

None

Apr 9, 2010
    I did factor in WiFi......and honestly, WiFi is incredibly short range compared to Cell Tower reach with Phonecall signal.

I agree...if you have WiFi in your current location, you're set. But that is an extremely short range. If you travel around your city at all.....you can't expect to be jumping WiFi to WiFi and keep a stable signal. U.S. cities don't have WiFi over their whole area. If you travel, you'll end up relying on your phone's 3G internet connection...which is not as reliable as the coverage providers give to Phonecalls.

That was my point. For anyone on the road....or anyone that visits places where WiFi obviously is not available.....this option may not be ideal. It WILL save you money though. Tradeoff

8. Andoug

Andoug Member
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Tried doing my voice calls through GV but the call quality stunk. Looking at how things were being routed at the time everything was going through Kansas and I live in Wisconsin. Lots of echo when having conversations. I would try it out first before going full bore. Who knows you may have a lot better luck than I did.

M5Rahul likes this.
  9. M5Rahul

M5Rahul Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 30, 2010
    DFW TX
    This!!

You will regret if you rely on GV as your primary means of wireless communication!

10. Stupifier

None

Apr 9, 2010
    I haven't even tried it yet and figured as much. Wireless internet speeds must improve coverage for GV to be an excellent replacement. If I had 4G and great coverage in my entire city...I would go total GV.