1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

ANSWERED Help OCing with Velocity 1.0

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by PowerBomb, Feb 7, 2011.

1. PowerBomb

PowerBomb Android Enthusiast

Hah... I think it was just yesterday that I made the ironic statement "the scripts in V1.0 are so easy even I can understand how to OC!". Nope, I'm still doing it wrong lol.

All along I thought I was pushing the speed further and further and having no problems. But I tried the new Angry Birds Seasons today and noticed it was still choppy. For the first time, when I go into the "performance" script, I selected 1 for CPU info instead of going directly to the OC menu, and it tells me my max speed is still 600000. I can go into the OC menu, set it to 748 or whatever, and it still says 600000 when I go check CPU info. Am I doing something wrong? Need to have something else installed? I've been telling the script NO for applying the speed at boot so I don't get into a loop of kernel panics if I happen to push it too far, but I don't turn my phone off, so the speed shouldn't be getting reset.

Any ideas?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ndrew2505

ndrew2505 Newbie

setcpu can be gotten from xda forums for free or you can buy it off the market.

3. PowerBomb

EDIT:

Trident helped me out on the IRC channel. I didn't realize to punch in SU in terminal emulator to grant it permissions before I could change any of the settings. I'm stupid lol! Thanks TRIDENT!

HBSPromoQueen likes this.
  4. HBSPromoQueen

HBSPromoQueen Newbie

lol. i feel like a dope now. I did the exact same thing above. had no idea I was supposed to type su first. I thought my phone was oc'd to 787 and running like a dream, but wondered why quad scores were only in the 800's. now I know why and my phone really hasn't been oc'd. ha.

5. PuNN-

PuNN- Newbie

If you OC too far the phone just reboots right? I've never done this before and i'm unsure of what to set it at.

6. tucknast10

tucknast10 Newbie

yes, so dont set the frequency to start on boot til you find a stable one

PuNN- likes this.
  7. HBSPromoQueen

HBSPromoQueen Newbie

Proud to say I'm running oc at 806 and quad score of 1080. I've been running at that speed all day.

8. ccsoccer03

ccsoccer03 Well-Known Member

Does setting the cpu via terminal have any advantages stability wise versus setcpu? I am one less fortunate and can only use 768 for a while

9. PowerBomb

Yeah just make sure you don't set your speed at boot until you know it's fairly stable. I start getting crashes at 806, but pretty stable at 787.

10. Viper05

Viper05 Well-Known Member

I would use the built in oc script over an app. I know they both get the job done, but why install an extra app?

As far as overclocking, i've had great sucess with Velocity 1.0. I am 100% stable at 787mhz. These results were much better than what i could get with Velocity 0.4.

Our phones are all different. Some can overclock past 800mhz and be stable, some are stuck at 600mhz and wont overclock at all. So my recomendation would be to slowly start at low oc settings, using the smartass option, and choosing not to set clock speeds at boot. Once you find a setting your phone starts crashing at you should be able to go down one speed and it should be your stable speed.

11. hYpester21

hYpester21 Newbie

Mine can only overclock to 787 mhz. sometimes i can overclock it to 806 mhz. no errors. Is my Ally bipolar?

12. Viper05

Viper05 Well-Known Member

It would depend on what you do with your Ally. Nothing is promised to be stable above the 600mhz factory clock speed. The added 187mhz is like free added power if you can keep it stable. I know there are some people that can get into the 800's but not near as many as 700's.

13. Idunno

Idunno Android Enthusiast

Can somebody explain the difference between interactive, smartass and ondemand?

From what I understand ondemand and interactive are pretty much the same... downclocking when the CPU load is low and bumping up when the load is high, only ondemand does it faster. Smartass appears to do the same thing based on observation in SetCPU (with a mid level setting?) so I was just wondering what the official functions of these are.

EDIT: Question for developers; would it be possible to integrate variables into the OC menu such as up threshold and powerbias for ondemand or is it best to leave it the way it is?

14. Zoandroid

Zoandroid Android Expert

I too would like this explained. I am searching the forum to learn what smartass is and so far have not found a definition.

So I looked it up on the XDA Developers forum. If I understand this correctly, in brief there are interactive, on demand, and smartass choices (maybe others but these 3 are what interests me). Each one is designed to let the cpu clock down slower when there is no load, and ramp up faster when the load reaches a certain level. Apparently in some cases these settings are user adjustable, but that is beyond my knowledge at this point.

Interactive was described as "maxing out" the cpu speed when the trigger point of cpu load is hit. On demand was described as slowly ramping up the speed instead. Smartass was described as working like on demand, but ramps up more quickly to give more responsiveness.

If I am wrong about this please elaborate and correct me.

I was looking this up because Velocity 1.0 is stated to use the Smartass Governor method by default and I wanted to know what that meant before using the ROM.

15. dcooterfrog

dcooterfrog Well-Known Member

I also want to understand the governors. I can go to 748 but I reboot at 767.
    I don't care about quadrant I just want snappy without killing my battery.

16. Zoandroid

Zoandroid Android Expert

748 is stable for me so far, but I have not yet tried faster under Velocity 1. With Velocity 0.4 it was the best I could do without kernel panics. Each cpu has its own limitations, so I'm not expecting miracles. But faster is always better! :)

17. KingOfGreen

KingOfGreen Android Expert

On velocity .4 the highest i was able to oc was 806, if i tried 825 it would kp instantly but with velocity 1 i im able to do 825 and its stable

18. Zoandroid

Zoandroid Android Expert

I like the sound of that! :)

I can't recall reading specifically what anyone 'runs' on their Ally to acid-test a higher clock setting. Do you have a program of choice to test overclock stability?

Under Eclair the whole reason I wanted overclock was to smooth out Angry Birds. But I got tired of it and don't play that anymore. It was for the most part playing that game which would produce a kernel panic if I clocked above 748. I'll have to pick something else to use for testing under Velocity 1.

Edit -

Well it looks like 748 is still tops for my Ally under Velocity 1.0. I tried 768 and it rebooted after playing Atomic Bomber for a few minutes. At 748 it seems quite stable.

19. Cl8rs

Cl8rs Android Enthusiast

I have mine at 787 and stable :D on Velocity 1.0

20. LethalRise750

LethalRise750 Lurker

Yep, went from 747 on Velocity 0.4 / Eclair to 787 on Velocity 1.0 / Froyo stable!

21. Zoandroid

Zoandroid Android Expert

I am trying 768 right now and so far soo good. So if no further I may at least get this single tick increase over 748 on Eclair.

22. Cl8rs

Cl8rs Android Enthusiast

I'm trying 806 right now. Actually stable :) so far...will report back.

EDIT: Not stable :(

23. Zoandroid

Zoandroid Android Expert

The Ally is stable for me now at 768 . I can bump it up to 787, and play Atomic Bomber for about 5-10 minutes, but then the Ally reboots. So I guess 768 is going to be the best I can do. Any is better than none. :)

24. Cl8rs

Cl8rs Android Enthusiast

This is best. My phone will reboot at 787 after awhile, so I only have it set at that while it's charging. Other than that its at 768 :)

Oh, just out of curiosity, what is the best governor to use?

25. Zoandroid

Zoandroid Android Expert

I looked up a description of 3 different types of commonly used governors (the three offered in Velocity 1) and it seems to be the general consensus that SmartAss is the best blend of performance and power conservation. Probably why they made it the default choice. I am using it.

LG Ally Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews