1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

ANSWERED -sankyuu

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by hikarushirou, Sep 22, 2011.

1. hikarushirou

hikarushirou Lurker

I tried searching for the answer to this question and can't seem to find it. I'm running low on room for games (I really don't have that many!) and want to backup my save data. From what I've read this cannot happen without rooting. BUT! What about accessing the /data folder via your PC when in USB Storage mode? I tried MyBackup but it looks like it only saves the .apk which isn't what I need since I can always re-DL from the market again. I just want the save files. And I cannot root the phone. Why? Well 1) I fear I might muss things up and from what I read it's not something covered in your "accident" plan or such. 2) I might be getting a new phone and passing this one onto someone non-smartphone savvy and again, wouldn't want to muss it up.

So again, my question is: Can I access the /data folder to retrieve game save data via USB Storage mode on my PC? Or is accessing that folder absolutely positively impossible without rooting?

Phone: LG Optimus M​

Advertisement

2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

What you see when you mount the sdcard via USB is only the sdcard in your phone, so no, you can't access the phone's files that way. There are ways to access the phone's internal storage via your PC and a USB connection, but it requires root.

Unfortunately I believe the only way to edit files in the /data folder is with root. That's why even MyBackup can't backup your game's data without root access.

3. hikarushirou

hikarushirou Lurker

Darn... that's what I figured. They really need to have a way around that... like when using App2SD (or whatever one may use for that process) the data SAVES on the SD. Would be much easier.. :/ Oh well, thanks for the response.

This can be closed now, if that's what y'all do once a question is answered.