• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Answering a call

premiump

Nov 15, 2009
UK
Hi, had my Desire Z for a few weeks now and I am absolutely thrilled with everything it allows me to do. I loved my Hero, but the Desire Z is just something else :)

However ...

When answering a call, I have noticed that when "dragging down to answer", sometimes it takes me two or three times to drag "correctly" to actually answer the call. Sometimes it works first time, sometimes it doesn't.

I initially put it down to me being used to my Hero's "sweet-spot" for dragging, but I keep doing it on my Desire Z ... and its annoying me (LOL).

Anyone else, or am I just a pleb?

cheers ;)

I find that I need to touch the frame of the phone when I swipe to answer or unlock. I have to either hold the phone with my other hand or touch the frame with another finger before the swipe is registered by the touch screen. I have this problem if the phone is on my car mount. I have to touch the frame with a finger and then use my thumb to swipe to answer a call or unlock the phone.

Upvote 0
I find that I need to touch the frame of the phone when I swipe to answer or unlock. I have to either hold the phone with my other hand or touch the frame with another finger before the swipe is registered by the touch screen. I have this problem if the phone is on my car mount. I have to touch the frame with a finger and then use my thumb to swipe to answer a call or unlock the phone.

I had the issue with the swipe not seeming to work on the Hero. I have not noticed it yet on the Desire-Z.

Regarding touching the frame I wonder if this is completing a circuit - this may be something specific to capacitive touch screens. I can't remember now whether the cases it didn't work for me were, for example, when the phone was down on a desk on in some kind of holder. I'll have to experiment.

Upvote 0
Thank you for this answer. I have a new DesireZ but had failed to answer even one call since using it. I have to ring everyone back! There is no 'sweet spot' on my screen to swipe down to answer. I tried touching the side of the screen as suggested and then swiped and it answered. Hooray!!
I loved my Hero and really wanted the DesireZ but HTC are very bad at getting basics right or fixing them when thousands of people complain. While their advanced features are amazing, the basics are often a mess. Not being able to transfer all info to sd card drove me nuts and now a

Upvote 0
I was advised by HTC to do a factory reset.
Before I did that (confusion trying not to lose info on the phone, couldn't get everything to transfer to sd card) a friend asked if I was just gently running my finger down the bottom of the screen where the sign said push down to answer, rather than all the way from top to bottom of the screen.
He rang me several times and each time I tried a different area of the screen and a different pressure and sure enough, I found the sweet spot is low down on the screen and doing so gently works whereas too much pressure doesn't!
Hope this helps anyone else with the same problem. If not, try to the re-set, after saving everything important.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones