1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

ANT+ support for Moto X (or others) with OTG USB?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by RobertB-DC, Oct 27, 2014.

1. RobertB-DC

RobertB-DC Well-Known Member

My wife got a Garmin wristband fitness device, which uses an ANT+ dongle to communicate with her PC. I figured I'd see what happens if I plug the dongle into my OTG USB adapter, since it magically allowed me to plug a mouse into my phone (not terribly useful, but a great icebreaker at parties).

Short version: nothing happens.

Long version: I installed the following drivers and apps.
    ANT Radio Service: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dsi.ant.service.socket
    ANT+ Plugins Service: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dsi.ant.plugins.antplus
    ANT+ Sampler (demo app): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dsi.ant.antplus.pluginsampler

When I run the ANT+ Sampler, it comes up with a wide array of devices that I can test connectivity with. But it's all for naught, because I get the toaster message "ANT Adapter Not Available. Built-in ANT hardware or external adapter required."

Any chance that there's just something simple that I'm missing, like an additional driver that the Sampler app didn't prompt me to install? I'll need a non-rooted solution for my purposes, though I'd be curious if it can be made to work with root access.

And while I'm asking for the moon, it would be great if I could get it to work on my wife's Moto G, and I also want a pony.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User

3. RobertB-DC

4. iRant

iRant Lurker

5. RobertB-DC

My wife's Moto G worked just like my X with the proper drivers installed. She's currently having trouble getting her device to communicate with the Garmin app, but I suspect it's a software issue, not hardware. I'll update with more info as warranted.

I'd be curious if the rooters have luck enabling the internal ANT+ hardware. If they can do it, it seems like Google/Motorola would consider enabling it in a future system update for us non-rooters.

Better than a pony? Let's see... the phone eats free electrons and dumps crap from my politically-opposite Facebook friends. The pony eats pricey oats and dumps actual crap. So I have to say, yes, a phone is better than a pony. Just figured I'd ask. ;)

Motorola Moto X (1st Gen) Forum

The Motorola Moto X (1st Gen) release date was August 2013. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 10MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, and 2200mAh battery.

August 2013
Release Date
Reviews