1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Anti-malware, virus, etc. ...what are you using?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by andruoid, Feb 15, 2015.

1. andruoid

andruoid Android Expert

Just got myself a new Asus TP300LA laptop direct from MS. Besides some nice Asus utilities there is zero 3rd party trialware, Yay! It's been a while since I used Windows and I generally stuck with MSE at the time for AV defence. Win 8.1 comes with a rebadged/upgraded version of MSE called Defender. Opinions on it would be appreciated and 3rd party alternatives as well. 90% is how you surf I know but, having a good defence is always needed. Thanks!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert

I just use AVG Free Edition for Windows. Mostly, I install Common Sense and leave it running at all times.

codesplice, jefboyardee and argedion like this.
  3. andruoid

andruoid Android Expert

I used AVG when it first came out for a number of years. It was a good setup. Then moved to MSE, moved onto Avira and back to MSE. Haven't used Windows for 2-3 years until now.

4. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

I use Linux takes all the headache out of it :p

rastus26 and Dngrsone like this.
  5. andruoid

andruoid Android Expert

I've tried GNU-Linux on and off since RedHat ver. 4.1 (1998). The only time it was stable and enjoyable for me was the Mandrake ver. 5 through 7 (early 2000's). Mint and Trisquel was another favorite I tried a couple of years ago. Trisquel being one of the truly "free" and pure distros out there, even Debian is using 3rd party software. GNU-Linux is great however, it looks like the same old story: wifi issues, trackpad issues, etc. More of a headache than surfing carefully. ;-)

I have looked online somewhat to see if a distro would run on my Asus TP300LA and it won't at this time.

I'm thinking Malwarebytes (full version) as its a decent price. Still researching and again, suggestions welcome.

6. Dngrsone

Dngrsone Android Expert

I almost posted that about an hour ago, then decided not to-- it's said every time.

I have been using Linux almost exclusively for at least seven years. Sure, I run into the occasional compatibility problem, but I had the same when installing Windows on custom machines, as well... Just a little research and a few days of experimentation usually results in happy computing.

rastus26 and argedion like this.
  7. mikedt

mikedt 你好

I use a Mac. :p

argedion likes this.
  8. bjacks12

bjacks12 Android Expert

a hammer in about 30 minutes if I experience another BSOD.

argedion, lunatic59 and mikedt like this.
  9. andruoid

andruoid Android Expert

The only BSoD I ever had was with Win98SE and that was because I went with an AMD K6 Series and crappy VIA chipset.

10. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Extreme Android User

Me too. I used to use Panda but it apparently stopped being free.

11. AMOCO

AMOCO The Computer Guy
    VIP Member

I use Avast Free Home 2015 Edition on all my computers

12. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

Defender/MSSE for me on Windows 8.1. Plus the Common Sense that @Crashdamage recommended. +++

Yes, I'm also a fan of Linux, but since the OP was asking specifically for his Windows laptop that's not really applicable. ;)

13. andruoid

andruoid Android Expert

After debating and researching malware and/or firewall solutions I've decided to just let Defender and Windows Firewall handle things for now. MSE is all that was on my Win7 OS for the longest time and never had issues. I've bought a couple of different solutions in the past and they just end up being resource hogs. If I really need to I could just run Linux in a VM and not worry. :)

codesplice likes this.
  14. bjacks12

bjacks12 Android Expert

On 7 i ran MalwareBytes, MSE, Windows Firewall, and Spybot(when it was still relevant, lol).

On 8.1, I use the same minus Spybot.

andruoid likes this.
  15. andruoid

andruoid Android Expert

I also use a VPN service since I prefer a more open inet and less CRTC.

16. jefboyardee

I only use AV in my PC cuz it's free and, doesn't over-consume resources and seems like the right thing to do, although I've never really needed it (so far).

I've never used it my droids cuz it does over-consume resources and as long as I get everything from the play store, I'm content to trust Google.

17. andruoid

andruoid Android Expert

I stand corrected, Big Time. I purchased Malwarebytes which comes with 3 licenses and installed on my new laptop and our ancient 8 yr old desktop. The latter has only ever run MSE. After a full scan with MBAM it found 23 infections (8 different ones total) called PUP.Optional.*.*

Just goes to show, you can be infected and don't know it.

18. jefboyardee

I've had the PUP too. As I recall, I just turned on show hiddens and searched for pups. Probably also did a regedit search too, but can't remember now.

19. bjacks12

bjacks12 Android Expert

The secret, I found, is to uninstall A/V stuff and download toolbars for IE. They give you all your information without having to go to websites where the viruses are. :p If you can still see screen, you don't have enough toolbars.

20. jefboyardee

I only use IE on a new install to download Firefox, then I never use it again. Perhaps that's the wrong thing to do, but something I can't even remember drove me away years ago and I never use it anymore.

21. andruoid

andruoid Android Expert

Firefox with duckduckgo.com as the only search engine ...also: AdBlock + NoScript ...and zero toolbars. 8)

jefboyardee likes this.
  22. jefboyardee

Trying duck right now. Already have AdBlock but disabled NoScript on my ancient beast. Also curious about µBlock.

mikedt and andruoid like this.
  23. jefboyardee

I decided, since I still have the space on my LG Access LTE, to break tradition and install AVG Free on it. It doesn't seem to get on the way and it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

24. rosario1990

rosario1990 Member

I use KasperSky for protecting my pc from virus.

25. mikedt

mikedt 你好

I had duck yesterday, delicious.

jefboyardee and lunatic59 like this.