• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Anti-virus 2016

For PC? if you are using Windows OS then go for Avast. Its one of the best antiviruses. I also use this..

As it happens, I currently have Avast installed on my Win7 PC.
I used AVG free for decades until they started hammering my eyeballs with advertisements, and false claims about "did I notice how much faster my PC booted up?"

uh, no.... I have been a MS tech since DOS 1.0, and I know how to keep my PC clean, mean, and FAST!!!
The Registry? I run thru that like a daily diary.... I keep it tight, and I get rid of the fluff.

As for Quicken? it was free for the longest until somewhere around 1995 or so, then they started charging me for it.... I bought it once, and that one version worked perfectly without needing all their upgrades right up until about 3 years ago when the banking system changed the protocols involved with PCs talking to banks....

that one hurt, I had to buy a new version in 2014 and that is what will stay in service until it breaks for some reason.
I have never, ever, upgraded any application just for the sake up doing so..... my experience is that more is broken, than is fixed.

Reactions: Jimmy Dev
Upvote 0
My dad uses Avast, and then he sent me this email the other day following my recent visit to the UK, and I quote...
Hello Mike,

The first of the Bourne Films on your Hard Drive has a Trojan Virus Managed to get rid of it, but I deleted the rest, not taking a chance, anyway no harm done.

Dad

So I replied...
Dad
That's what can happen when you get pirate movies from China!
Mike.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
mattd.jpg

My Windows tablet hasn't been anywhere near my apparently malicious Bourne Trilogy. The full 2TB USB hard drive it's on is usually plugged into my TV in the lounge

BTW I took that hard drive to the UK with me last month, came back to China, dad emails me, "You left your hard drive here, I found it behind my TV.", then he kindly posted it back to me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Reactions: Davdi and psionandy
Upvote 0
Windows should follow Linux by requiring a normal user account (with password) AND a separate Admin account with a different password as part of the initial setup process..

Oh, and I k now some Linux distros (Mostly Ubuntu/Mint and derivatives) only require a userrname/password, but they DO require the user's password before allowing access to root/admin privilege.

Upvote 0
Chrome+ad block plus; Win 10 -internal virus protection and don't click on anything that makes you go hmmm....Should I click on that? I have been in IT for over 15 years and have managed to avoid viruses by using common sense and avoiding the desire to click!

As far as 3rd party apps..... Stay away from McAfee; Symantec (Norton), and Kaspersky. They have so much bloat and value-added crap-ware/nagging that they are more trouble than they are worth. Free stuff like AVG/Avast work quite well to protect you without having to purchase added headaches.

Upvote 0
Windows should follow Linux by requiring a normal user account (with password) AND a separate Admin account with a different password as part of the initial setup process.

Oh, and I k now some Linux distros (Mostly Ubuntu/Mint and derivatives) only require a userrname/password, but they DO require the user's password before allowing access to root/admin privilege.

Mint and Ubuntu (both Debian derivatives) are trying to make their setups and desktops as windows-like as possible to get converts. Unfortunately, that means setting up the first user account as an admin. Where Windows has it's ridiculous UAC where all you have to do is click a popup box to elevate privileges, those Linux distros require the user password, but it's still not root.

Best practices is always have a separate Admin account and demote your daily driver account to a standard user.

Reactions: Davdi
Upvote 0
Avast if you really must use Windows (I do, but only for Visual Studio), Linux for everything else.

AZgl1500 said "Linux is okay as a browser device, but it don't even come close to Windows for all of the applications most folks use..."
Err.. Libre Office, unless you have macros/very complex docs is just fine (I use it in Windows too)
I'd be interested to k now which Linux distro we're talking about. I use PCLinuxOS and Mint/Ubuntu. All of which support MP3 and other proprietary codecs.

I started using Linux over 10 years ago out of curiosity, but the reliabilty and stability (not to mention responsiveness compared to Windows) have made me a Linux convert.
I've also 'converted' several Windows users to Linux when XP support ended, and they didn't want to replace perfectly good PCs.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones