1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Anti-virus

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Ebattilana100, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Ebattilana100

Ebattilana100 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    So the other day i was playing with my co-workers EVO 4G and noticed that he had an Anti-Virus icon...
    Ive never heard of an Anti-Virus for an Android until that day,
    Question: Does anyone have this on their Nexus One?

Advertisement

2. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery

Jan 20, 2010
    Where the Sakura grows
    I use lookout, which has an antivirus, location search and a siren/screeching option.

From what I read, since Android is based off of the Linux Kernel, it doesn't need an antivirus. Blog article I found that explains it fairly well.

3. I also use lookout, i actually am taking part in there premium beta..

4. Roze

Jan 20, 2010
    Where the Sakura grows
    What's their premium beta? I'm a bit behind on Android news :(

5. i got an email from them a few weeks back asking me if i wanted to take part in the there beta.. it has a remote look feature now

6. Roze

Jan 20, 2010
    Where the Sakura grows
    Damn...I haven't gotten an email from them for that!!! And what does the remote look feature do? Does it have a wipe feature, being able to enable the siren through a sms coded text or the ability to turn GPS on from the computer? I emailed them on those features and they said they'd look into them awhile back.

And it seems we've successfully hijacked this thread...sorry OP :p

7. no , no wipe feature yet. they say its coming. but yes it locks it remotely via there site, preventing all use of the phone. Its not on par with wave secure yet. i have that too.. but its getting there

8. Roze

Jan 20, 2010
    Where the Sakura grows
    Well, they'll hear from me about why I didn't get on their premium beta list and to put me on!!! I missed out on the wave secure free membership when they went off beta mid Feburary :( Didn't get my N1 until early March XD Though I've heard that wavesecure isn't as great as it once was...there were some issues awhile back. I think they'd have 'em ironed out by now.

9. have you tried logging into lookout and seeing if you have an offer?

10. aquaitious

aquaitious Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Boston, MA
    You guys should check out ES Security Manager.

I haven't played around with it too much, but it has some nifty features. Personally, I love password protecting a certain app (GMAIL, so no one can read my email when I give them my phone.)

It also has a security feature if you phone gets lost or stolen. It'll sent you all your contacts and lock the phone for you...just through a text message.

I haven't had a chance to try the security feature yet and hope I never have to. lol.

11. i use app protector pro for that.. love it

12. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2010
    Pompey, UK
    Need root for that. WaveSecure supports it for rooted folk though, which is cool.

13. Roze likes this.
  14. richcowell

richcowell Well-Known Member

May 10, 2010
    Network Manager
    Lancashire, UK
    Have any of you tried Prey?
    Open source anti-theft solution for Mac, PCs & Phones – Prey

I'm not sure whether Anti-virus/firewalls are really needed at this stage yet, but the other bits of Lookout sound quite good... I think the other features are what's available on Prey...

I know they're all free, but I like to try to get all the information and compare a few before I try one lol...

Tags: