• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Antivirus App and Sketchy Website - Opinions on state of my phone

drfreeman

Oct 10, 2011
Call me paranoid, but I normally can't help it lol.

But anyways, I recently was on the internet going to websites looking for lyrics to a song. I accidently clicked on a popup that came up that said that I was visitor number whatever and wanted to complete a survey. So I closed the browser as fast as I could, and being paranoid about that, I downloaded and installed AVG Antivirus from the Android Market. I ran a scan and it said everything was alright. But then I came on back to these forums and found that antivirus applications have been known to cause more harm than good to Android phones. I then uninstalled the app immediately after that. Its been almost 10 hours, and nothing seems to have gone wrong with my phone. The only quirk I got was my SMS application Force Closed on me (which for whatever reason, my phone has been force closing a lot of applications as of late, but I think that might be caused by my theme).

Basically, can you help ease a paranoid person's mind by answering if it is alright or not. Thanks!

I use lookout. I love it. Great as an antivirus and as a locator. Just like everyone has already said, with android, as of yet, you cannot get a virus from browsing websites. The only way is by installing apps. A higher risk is installing apps from the non official market. Android is made up of a form of lynux, which is a very unique open source OS. It gets less viruses then macs. Its just not common. Just understand, that over time as market share increases, more threats will increase. The only reason apple ios devices do not get threats is because of the tightly strict apple app store. They review each app before it goes up, eliminating the risk of threats. However, It IMO also limits freedom and choice. With freedom there is always that one person that tries to screw things up. But overall, it gives the end user more choice and freedom of apps. You can root your phone, and do all kinds of crazy stuff, because android market is not locked down like apples is. This is why things are the way there are with threats right now. The more popular android gets, the more apps that might be created to trick people. This is why you should always look at permissions of apps before installing them. Lets say for example a live wallpaper has the permission for read contacts or send messages. This is very fishy as its just a live wallpaper and does not need this permission whatsoever. Always read the apps description and permissions requested. If the developer of the app is nice, they usually explain why there permissions are needed. But use common sense. Before you install the app, it lists the permissions right there. Just read them. I suggest this website for learning more about permissions.

See here: Use Permissions to Secure Your Private Data from Android Apps - android, android apps, android apps stealing data, android malware, android permissions, app permissions, guest-post, locale, malicious apps, personal data, Privacy, private data, securi

I am rooted and sometimes install apps from the non official market. This is why lookout or something similar is a must!

Upvote 0
I use lookout. I love it. Great as an antivirus and as a locator. Just like everyone has already said, with android, as of yet, you cannot get a virus from browsing websites. The only way is by installing apps. A higher risk is installing apps from the non official market. Android is made up of a form of lynux, which is a very unique open source OS. It gets less viruses then macs. Its just not common. Just understand, that over time as market share increases, more threats will increase. The only reason apple ios devices do not get threats is because of the tightly strict apple app store. They review each app before it goes up, eliminating the risk of threats. However, It IMO also limits freedom and choice. With freedom there is always that one person that tries to screw things up. But overall, it gives the end user more choice and freedom of apps. You can root your phone, and do all kinds of crazy stuff, because android market is not locked down like apples is. This is why things are the way there are with threats right now. The more popular android gets, the more apps that might be created to trick people. This is why you should always look at permissions of apps before installing them. Lets say for example a live wallpaper has the permission for read contacts or send messages. This is very fishy as its just a live wallpaper and does not need this permission whatsoever. Always read the apps description and permissions requested. If the developer of the app is nice, they usually explain why there permissions are needed. But use common sense. I suggest this website for learning more about permissions.

See here: Use Permissions to Secure Your Private Data from Android Apps - android, android apps, android apps stealing data, android malware, android permissions, app permissions, guest-post, locale, malicious apps, personal data, Privacy, private data, securi

I am rooted and sometimes install apps from the non official market. This is why lookout or something similar is a must!

The only reason why I ask about the antivirus is because of people reporting problems they have had with the apps. Sometimes rendering their OS useless.

Upvote 0
I myself have never seen that....If your worried, I suggest Sticking with big well known names/compaines. Like Lookout, (avast is coming out with there own sometime) avg, antivirus free that are in the top free section of the market.

Yeah I was using AVG, and I uninstalled it because everything was checked and seemed ok, and I heard of those things.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones