1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Antivirus for your V?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by RocketFoot, Feb 16, 2011.

1. RocketFoot

RocketFoot Well-Known Member
    None

I have been using AVG app since the first minute I had this phone, but Lookout is looking good? What are your thoughts? Any other recommendations?

Advertisement

2. TVCCS

TVCCS Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 19, 2011
    Male
    Consultant/Editor/Writer
    Los Angeles, CA

I am using Lookout...it's recommended pretty well, and helps track lost phones, according to some who know more than I do.

3. Rezin

Rezin Newbie
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Is it necessary? I mean is it possible to get a virus if I only use apps from the market and such? Or is it possible to become infected my SMS or e-mail or website on the android platform like say, Windows?

4. blmbmj

blmbmj Newbie
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Yes, You definitely need an anti virus. Just because an App is in the market, does NOT mean that it is safe. There are no gatekeepers in the market. You GOTTA read the comments for everything that you want to install. Go to the developer's website and nose around. Do this EVEN for UPDATES!

I am using Lookout. It does not burn a lot of battery at all and has nice features. I am in IT, so I know the value of an ounce of prevention.

Rezin likes this.
  5. RocketFoot

RocketFoot Well-Known Member
    None

Do you think Lookout has the same amount of protection as AVG or vice versa? I do like the extra features of Lookout...maybe I'll give it a try.

6. salpiche

salpiche Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 4, 2009
    Sprint RC
    Orlando, FL
    Question.. can someone show me a screen shot of a virus warning on a Android phone please? I have been using Linux for 15+ years and have never seen a virus on any of my systems and have been using Android since G1, and have yet to see a virus.

7. salpiche

salpiche Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 4, 2009
    Sprint RC
    Orlando, FL
    Two common things keep popping up, side loading apps or non Android Market, the same two things that I do not do. Ok! so if you are going to side load apps or get apps from unknown sources than you will need such. Either way if you only install apps from the market and take your time to review apps, download from reputable sources and do not root (when you root your device you remove the device security and become more susceptible to malware)your phone you will not need an Antivirus, and stating that it is needed because it is opensource then the same could be said about MacOs (BSD kernel opensource) and Linux but not Windows...

Anti-Virus or NO Anti-Virus

Tags: