1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Any 3G/4G toggle widgets out there?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by veccster, Dec 29, 2011.

1. veccster

veccster Android Enthusiast

So I blew through 70% of my battery in about 3 hours - phone was in my pocket. It was actually hot in my pocket.

The only thing I can find that caused it was the phone being in 4G mode. I wanted data on but didn't need 4G. I know how to switch it through the settings menu but would really like a 4g/3G toggle on my homescreen.

Widgetsoid doesn't seem to have one yet. Any other apps out there that have a working toggle widget for the homescreen?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. boardrx182

boardrx182 Lurker

I don't know of any good toggle widgets (I'll be interested to hear recommendations as well), but after I saw terrible battery life the first few days with this phone, and almost returned it, I randomly tried the free version of Juice Defender. No joke, it has at least doubled my battery life. I was seeing 5-6 hours of battery without it, and I'm seeing 15-20 hours with it running. All it does is disable your data when the screen turns off. Even if I use 4G instead of 3G, I can easily get 12 hours of battery life when using Juice Defender. Try it out and let me know if it works for you - it saved me from returning the Galaxy Nexus!

3. veccster

Thanks...I just downloaded JuiceDefender per your recommendation. I used it with my Dinc and had good success.

Here is a screenshot of my phone on wifi all day (at my house). It's crazy different than what I get on 4g.

17.5hrs with 9% left
    This is with 2hrs 12min of "Time on"
    [​IMG]

4. sperho

sperho Android Enthusiast

So, disabling data while the screen is off means that if want to receive email while your screen is off you are out of luck?

5. ska.t73

ska.t73 Android Expert

You can set JD to enable data at set intervals while the screen is off if you need it to check things like emails. The lowest it can be set is every 15 minutes. I have mine set to enable data every 30 mintues for 15 seconds.

6. veccster

I have mine set to enable every 5 minutes during non-peak hours for 30 seconds. Not sure if this is an option on the free but the premium is on sale for just $.99.

It also turns off background sync between 2am and 7am.

7. TheRoosevelt

TheRoosevelt Android Expert

I tried Juice Defender, and it might have just been in my head, but it seemed to slow down my phone somewhat so I uninstalled. I'll try it again now that I know all it does is disable data on screen off.

As for 3G/4G toggles, I haven't found anything. Hopefully the folks at MoreQuicklyPanel figure something out because the other toggles they offer are really useful.

Mr. Link likes this.
  8. ska.t73

ska.t73 Android Expert

Yea I meant 5 minutes... lol

9. Mr. Link

Mr. Link Android Enthusiast

According to the developer of the NFC Task Program, there is no "clean" way to toggle 3G/4G. Let me to try to find how he said it and not butcher his words.

- This was in reference to someone asking about if they could toggle mobile data...so I'm not completely sure it's a 3G/4G thing.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews