• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any 3rd party launchers work with DX2?

phositadc

Mar 18, 2010
Do any third party launchers actually work well with the DX2? I've seen posts saying that Launcher Pro and GO Launcher have lots of redraws, lag, etc.

And yes, I know people are generally liking the Blur on the DX2, but I just want to know if Launcher Pro or GO Launcher actually work properly without lag, etc.

Thanks!

i have tried adw, adw ex, launcher pro plus, go home and Mr Home. The only one that doesnt appear to redraw EVERYTIME is Mr Home and i dont expect that to last long either...

does anyone have any idea why this is? maybe it has something to do with the fact that 3rd party home screens become the only option instead of blur when used....it is driving me nuts! and while i dont HATE blur, i also need 5x5 icons....

Upvote 0
Reactions: mikejaret
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
The fixes were short lived for me, since after just an hour or two, the free ram reduced down to upper 20s and lower 30s. The scripts can not fix the fact that for whatever reason, about 130mb of ram is not seen by the OS.

This is in relation to 404mb and assumes 108mb is allocated to the gpu. If truly 512mb ram, the missing delta is about 238mb of RAM.

Seems very absolute to me, considering folks have to use an app designed for the 256mb Droid 1, to keep the device from stammering. Something is wrong with the DX2.

Upvote 0
The fixes were short lived for me, since after just an hour or two, the free ram reduced down to upper 20s and lower 30s. The scripts can not fix the fact that for whatever reason, about 130mb of ram is not seen by the OS.

This is in relation to 404mb and assumes 108mb is allocated to the gpu. If truly 512mb ram, the missing delta is about 238mb of RAM.

Seems very absolute to me, considering folks have to use an app designed for the 256mb Droid 1, to keep the device from stammering. Something is wrong with the DX2.

You have something installed that has an actual memory leak then and is specific to your phone. Mine is still sitting at 140mb if I load and quit NFS Shift and I've never seen it go below about 75MB free with normal use since doing the custom values. My phone also lasted 48 hours without a charge and was still at 40% battery over the last 2 days. I'd try unloading widgets one by one or using ATK (NOT in auto-kill mode) and kill apps one by one until your memory jumps up drastically.

Upvote 0
This is reposted from a person over DX, I forgot who it was. No theft intented.

redraws are usually NOT launcher specific. if it happens to one launcher, it will happen to the others as well.

there is a fix tho. did this a while ago and haven't had a redraw since.
using root explorer navigate to system
mount r/o
longpress on build.prop
open in text editor
scroll all the way to the bottom
enter the following text:
ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1

press the hard back key and save the document
mount system again
reboot.

basically what is happening is the launcher is an app, and it gets kicked out of memory when memory gets low (hence why it happens to all launchers)...this is b/c the launcher is at priority 6, which is pretty low. the above hack puts the priority at 1, so it is the last thing to get kicked out of memory by the built in memory manager.

did this when i was on apex 2.0 (based on GB 591) when i was getting horrible lag coming out of pretty much ANY app. did the above hack, and haven't had a redraw in since then....so maybe 4 weeks or so. so amazing. even after using a heavy app like Plants vs zombies (thanks amazon appstore) it snapped right back to the launcher.

Upvote 0
Don't know about LauncherPro, she refuses to pay for apps, and the unpaid version is too crippled, so she's never really used that.
I have been using the free version of LauncherPro from day one on this phone (and most of the time that I had the rooted D1). I have had no redraw issues and it has worked great. I have considered trying other launchers, but why try to fix what isn;t broken? ;)

Upvote 0
This is reposted from a person over DX, I forgot who it was. No theft intented.

redraws are usually NOT launcher specific. if it happens to one launcher, it will happen to the others as well.

there is a fix tho. did this a while ago and haven't had a redraw since.
using root explorer navigate to system
mount r/o
longpress on build.prop
open in text editor
scroll all the way to the bottom
enter the following text:
ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1

press the hard back key and save the document
mount system again
reboot.

basically what is happening is the launcher is an app, and it gets kicked out of memory when memory gets low (hence why it happens to all launchers)...this is b/c the launcher is at priority 6, which is pretty low. the above hack puts the priority at 1, so it is the last thing to get kicked out of memory by the built in memory manager.

did this when i was on apex 2.0 (based on GB 591) when i was getting horrible lag coming out of pretty much ANY app. did the above hack, and haven't had a redraw in since then....so maybe 4 weeks or so. so amazing. even after using a heavy app like Plants vs zombies (thanks amazon appstore) it snapped right back to the launcher.

Turdbogls posted those instructions in a thread I started over at the DX forums about Mr. Home, ADW EX and the redraw issue. FWIW, this script-fix has taken ALL lag and redraws out of my launchers. Big thumbs up from me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones