1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Any $50 Tablets Comparable To Nexus 7 (2012)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by anotherusername1, Oct 26, 2014.

1. anotherusername1

So, my son dropped our Nexus 7 (2012) and I have been tasked with fixing it.

yes, I bought a digitizer and bezel, and I have watched / read how to fix it, but I am pretty sure I will make it worse than it is now :thinking:

So, just in case my repair job goes as badly as I expect it to go, are there any tablets in the $50 range that would be somewhat comparable to a Nexus 7 (2012) ??? (either new or used.)

I guess sheer processing power and RAM is NOT as important to me as, say, having a very good looking screen and the ability to watch youtube and get email and watch videos.

I will need to be able to show photos on the tablet to potential clients , so I guess I would be less willing to compromise on image quality and more willing to compromise on outright performance.

thanks.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

The short answer is no, sorry. :(

With a number of the cheaper, no name tablets (the sort that cost less than $50), once of the things generally compromised is the screen.

You could probably pick up a 2nd hand one on eBay for around that price though, would that be an option?

anotherusername1 likes this.
  3. syzmic

syzmic Well-Known Member

My suggestion is to look into a refurbished Hisense Sero 7 Pro.

They can sometimes be had for $50 to $60 after rebate. It is basically a Nexus 7(2012), but with the extra camera on the back (with flash), an HDMI output, and a Micro SD card slot.

I have both tablets, and prefer the Sero 7. It boots and shuts down much faster, also has haptic feedback, and the headphone/mic jack works correctly.

Bottom line, the Sero 7 Pro isn't a compromise, it's actually a step up...

anotherusername1 likes this.
  4. anotherusername1

Thank you, I may end up doing that.

You mentioned that the screen on the Chinese tablets tends to be the big problem. Is that because of the resolution, or is there something else I have to watch out for aside from just resolution?

5. anotherusername1

Thanks for the suggestion.

So the Sero 7 has the same RAM as the Nexus 7?

It looks like the Sero 7 has only 8 gigs of HD space but the option to include an SD card so I could have 16 gigs of ram.

Will that cause a problem since - as far as I understand - doesn't the nexus store a lot of apps in the internal HD and isn't it difficult to move apps to the SD card?

In short, will having only 8 internal HD space be a problem even if I DO get an SD card with a further 8 (or 16 or whatever) gigs of space?

6. syzmic

syzmic Well-Known Member

I haven't had a problem with the "small" HD space. You can actually get a LOT of apps installed with that 8 Gigs.

Moving apps to the SD card is a bit of a problem. The OS tries to prevent you from doing it. A lot of the data from the apps can be stored on the SD card however, as well as your music, photos and videos.

I put a 32 Gig card in my tablet, so I've got room to burn, so to speak.

7. anotherusername1

8. boathead

boathead Android Enthusiast

9. name777

name777 Newbie

Don't buy $50 tablets. Even though they may seem OK, but they never have Google Services. The Play on such tablets is usually some bastardized version of an outdated Play version, and won't give you much. Also they suffer from low memory, and "sport" crappy battery.

10. anotherusername1

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Well, I messed up a bit...

As mentioned, my son dropped our nexus 7 and broke the screen.

I actually did by a replacement screen / digitizer and tried to fix it myself some months back. But I didn't buy a bezel and I ended up destroying the bezel when trying to remove it from the old (broken) screen.

Life got in the way and I didn't order a new bezel until about two weeks ago.

So I did "fix" the broken nexus, but the screen calibration is off and there is a big deadspot from side to side that is about a 1/4 inch wide.

I took it apart and have double checked all the cables, but it still has the deadspot and the calibration is still off a bit (about an 1/8th of an inch).

I guess I have to see about getting a replacement screen / digitizer (bought it off amazon), plus I will probably have to get a NEW BEZEL as well. I just don't know if they will refund / replace that screen / digitizer since I ordered it from them about three or four months back.

Sigh... feeling kind of stupid now...