• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any $50 Tablets Comparable To Nexus 7 (2012)

So, my son dropped our Nexus 7 (2012) and I have been tasked with fixing it.

yes, I bought a digitizer and bezel, and I have watched / read how to fix it, but I am pretty sure I will make it worse than it is now :thinking:

So, just in case my repair job goes as badly as I expect it to go, are there any tablets in the $50 range that would be somewhat comparable to a Nexus 7 (2012) ??? (either new or used.)

I guess sheer processing power and RAM is NOT as important to me as, say, having a very good looking screen and the ability to watch youtube and get email and watch videos.

I will need to be able to show photos on the tablet to potential clients , so I guess I would be less willing to compromise on image quality and more willing to compromise on outright performance.

thanks.

My suggestion is to look into a refurbished Hisense Sero 7 Pro.

They can sometimes be had for $50 to $60 after rebate. It is basically a Nexus 7(2012), but with the extra camera on the back (with flash), an HDMI output, and a Micro SD card slot.

I have both tablets, and prefer the Sero 7. It boots and shuts down much faster, also has haptic feedback, and the headphone/mic jack works correctly.

Bottom line, the Sero 7 Pro isn't a compromise, it's actually a step up...

Reactions: anotherusername1
Upvote 0
Bottom line, the Sero 7 Pro isn't a compromise, it's actually a step up...

Thanks for the suggestion.

So the Sero 7 has the same RAM as the Nexus 7?

It looks like the Sero 7 has only 8 gigs of HD space but the option to include an SD card so I could have 16 gigs of ram.

Will that cause a problem since - as far as I understand - doesn't the nexus store a lot of apps in the internal HD and isn't it difficult to move apps to the SD card?

In short, will having only 8 internal HD space be a problem even if I DO get an SD card with a further 8 (or 16 or whatever) gigs of space?

Upvote 0
I haven't had a problem with the "small" HD space. You can actually get a LOT of apps installed with that 8 Gigs.

Moving apps to the SD card is a bit of a problem. The OS tries to prevent you from doing it. A lot of the data from the apps can be stored on the SD card however, as well as your music, photos and videos.

I put a 32 Gig card in my tablet, so I've got room to burn, so to speak.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Well, I messed up a bit...

As mentioned, my son dropped our nexus 7 and broke the screen.

I actually did by a replacement screen / digitizer and tried to fix it myself some months back. But I didn't buy a bezel and I ended up destroying the bezel when trying to remove it from the old (broken) screen.

Life got in the way and I didn't order a new bezel until about two weeks ago.

So I did "fix" the broken nexus, but the screen calibration is off and there is a big deadspot from side to side that is about a 1/4 inch wide.

I took it apart and have double checked all the cables, but it still has the deadspot and the calibration is still off a bit (about an 1/8th of an inch).

I guess I have to see about getting a replacement screen / digitizer (bought it off amazon), plus I will probably have to get a NEW BEZEL as well. I just don't know if they will refund / replace that screen / digitizer since I ordered it from them about three or four months back.

Sigh... feeling kind of stupid now...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones