1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Any clue on when AT&T will release S2??

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Captpt, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Captpt

Captpt Newbie

Anyone here any concrete info on when AT&T will be releasing the Galaxy??
    I've been a iPhone user and now a WP7 user(Samsung Focus) and I am ready to give Android a try, one thing about the Focus is it has spoiled me with it's great AMOLED display, even my wife's iPHone 4 pales in comparison!! WP7's OS was cool at first but the novelty wore off especially with super SLOW updates, low app counts, hardly any customization ability and the last straw was when my phone reset itself and I found backing up with Zune does VERY little when restoring is needed!! Settings, pics, bookmarks, documents, music choices & ect are all lost!!
    Does the Android have a Backup system like iOS where if the phone resets or you get a new Android phone it will restore it just like it was when you last backed it up???

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. greggebhardt

greggebhardt Android Enthusiast

AT&T version of the SG2 should release in September from what I have been told by my contacts. That is still only rumor but you are starting to see a lot of new reporting the AT&T and the SG2 on places like Engaget.

It will have the regular 4 touchscreen buttons at the bottom instead of the one physical button like the current SG2 units! Other than that the specs are the same!

3. 3waygeek

3waygeek Well-Known Member

I've read on other sites that the AT&T version will have NFC support, as will at least one of other US versions (either T-Mo or Sprint, I don't recall which).

4. Captpt

Captpt Newbie

Not trying to sound stupid but is the 4 touchscreen buttons instead of one physical one a good thing or bad??
    Sorry, I'm an Android newbie but like most new things I try to learn as much as possible before receiving new gadgets so I am just beginning to research and learn as much as I can before AT&T releases and I pick up the S2..

In advance:
    Thanks all for your responses!!

5. dennishh

dennishh Newbie

I read on the Washington post that the 18th of Sep. was the date but can't get AT&t to say that.

6. Captpt

Captpt Newbie

Your spot on, found this article showing the US version with 4 touchscreen buttons..

The REAL Samsung Galaxy S2 In An Official Picture!

7. Captpt

Captpt Newbie

Just stopped by my local AT&T store and the rep I always deal with (because he never tries to BS anyone about anything) told me he's almost certain their store will see the GS2 Oct. 1st... perfect since my upgrade option is valid the same day :).

8. greggebhardt

No way to sound stupid, Android was new to me not too long ago as I came from the Blackberry camp and have used nothing but Blackberry for 10+ years.

Most of the existing Droids use the same 4 buttons at the bottom of the phone. I will get an AT&T unit and think that the buttons will be fine.

Having the 4 touch screen buttons vs the one physical button on the bottom is liked by some and disliked by others. Not really a big advantage either way as you will quickly get used to either.

9. mowbr4

mowbr4 Lurker

Has anyone heard anything as of late? I heard possibly September 18th for AT&T, 16th for TMobile.

I am looking to switch from my 3Gs to this.

Thanks!

10. greggebhardt

My AT&T person who I sail with (not a sales person-owns his 42' vessel) says they will be out in September. He said nothing had changed and that they were expecting the SG2 to be a HUGE seller.

11. mowbr4

mowbr4 Lurker

Great. I know that Sprint is releasing it tomorrow. I hope the rumor of AT&T on Sunday is true.

12. justabrake

justabrake Member

I signed on to get a notification last week but I'm wondering what prices are they going to charge for it and if they are going to sell them without contract.

I have a 2 year contract with them with my iphone 4 and have a year left with unlimited data so I don't need a new contract, I only want to get a new phone I'm tired after all these years with only iphones I want to try this one :)

13. dennishh

dennishh Newbie

Three months ago I held one of the galaxy S2's in my hand while I was in Portugal and a tell you the truth I can't believe it's still not out. I got on that stupid list also but I've about had it waiting for this thing. Seems to be all kinds of new processors and phones being introduced in the next couple months, so I can't understand why AT&T keeps dragging its feet on this. I've been trying to dump my iPhone 4, but by the time they get this phone on the market the iPhone 5 will be out and the Nexus prime.

14. CZ Eddie

CZ Eddie Member

I stopped by Radio Shack & an AT&T store today. Right next door to each other.
    Radio Shack had no idea.
    The guy at AT&T said they are definitely NOT getting it next week. But beyond that, he didn't know when. So according to him, it won't release on the 18th or for the rest of the week following it. He sounded pretty positive.

I got groceries at WalMart afterwards. Their cell guys didn't even know what an SII was.

Ugh, my iphone sells on ebay tomorrow. Not sure I want to go a week+ w/out a phone.
    Sprint got theirs today and its got a larger screen. But Sprints plan is more expensive than my grandfathered no-limit data plan ($69 out the door per month).

15. justabrake

justabrake Member

The faster AT&T releases it the faster the prices will drop :) the epics are selling really cheap on ebay, LOL, I can't believe it :)

Simba501 likes this.
  16. Kadin

Kadin Newbie

I used to work at AT&T a while back and one of my friends who is now a manager at one of the local stores claimed it will be out 'this month' via CSP. Other than that, he didn't have a specific date... but that's better than nothing.

17. CZ Eddie

CZ Eddie Member

Well this is a good sign.... last night (and for the longest time) the Samsung Infuse was the most expensive Samsung smart phone at $199 from AT&T.
    Tonight, it's been dropped to $99.

Samsung Infuse (TM) 4G* Cell Phone - from AT&T

18. i got tired of waiting i jumped ship walked into sprint handed them my old iphone4 and they gave me a brand new epic touch 4g and it is effing sweet

19. justabrake

justabrake Member

sold my iphone 4 today on craigslist had it also on fleabay pulled that off before someone buys it LOL, ordered batteries from fleabay for this galaxy s2 one samsung original and one or two china batterie,one car mount, charger, now without a phone and using my macbook and google phone app for calls and texting ! might just hold off a little longer because I see some price droppings on these , not worried about a case it's going to be otterbox 3 days away after purchase ;) :D

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews