• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any current handset a good rugged replacement for Casio?

TheyCallMeBT

Android Enthusiast
Feb 29, 2012
Hi all. My dad has this Casio phone. He runs a construction business so the fact that this phone is rugged and resistant to drops, scratches, dust, and water/ sweat made it perfect for him. I had been telling him that a smartphone would be great for him for a while, but then I was surprised when he just came home one day and had gotten this (his first smartphone). But lately, it's getting a bit "long in the tooth" as they say. I run a business of my own, but I help him with some office type duties and with anything to do with electronics. Lately I've been wanting for him to have a new, up to date device so that it's easier on me working with it for him.

So has anyone found a good replacement? I'm thinking that one of the now several RAZR devices with an Otterbox would come in pretty close, while being up to date on software, having a better camera (which he uses for work all the time), faster processor, probably giving him less issues on in car bluetooth (A2DP and phone calls), a killer battery, and a better screen to show clients photos of previous jobs.

Thanks!

Well if you want a device that fits in a pocket a razor of any kind with a top level otterbox would put you in the crack smoking gangster jeans back pocket only realm. Also. KISS would fail with that many variables. Ask your dad if he wants a device in his pockets with that many moving parts. For the moment, no. Sorry it's slow, there should be a suitable replacement Q2 2013. And keep your eye open for Sony, not my favorite but their line may be promising.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I'm not sure if I completely understood. What did you mean about moving parts? The Otterbox? He never puts a phone in his pocket. It's always on a hip clip-on holster, or a hip slide in pouch. I don't think he's going to be able to wait until Q2 next year. It has started with other issues and I don't see him putting up with it for another month.

I like the look of Sony's phone. That'd be nice if they brought something to VZW. So Casio is looking at Q2 next year, or another company?

Upvote 0
Any quality smartphone in an Otterbox Defender, Trident Kraken AMS, or Seidio Active case should work for most people. I work in the telecommunications industry and have dropped my Rezound from 20+ feet in the air with no damage (or even visible scuff marks in the case) with an Otterbox Defender series, and others that I know swear by the and or all of the three cases above. Personally I would recommend either the Otterbox or the Trident case. Nice part is, all of these cases have belt holsters available too.

Now, if he is like some people who almost abuse the ruggedness of the Casio, you be better off to wait for the next ruggedized phone and if needed buy a used or overstock Commando to get by. Some people have been known to do stuff like drop the Commando in an oil tub, then spray it off with a pressure washer to get it clean, or keep it in their pocket well being a dish washer or working in a car wash, for those instances there are few phones that have cases that can stand up to that, but some of the iPhone cases can get pretty ruggedized... at a price!

Upvote 0
Any quality smartphone in an Otterbox Defender, Trident Kraken AMS, or Seidio Active case should work for most people. I work in the telecommunications industry and have dropped my Rezound from 20+ feet in the air with no damage (or even visible scuff marks in the case) with an Otterbox Defender series, and others that I know swear by the and or all of the three cases above. Personally I would recommend either the Otterbox or the Trident case. Nice part is, all of these cases have belt holsters available too.

Now, if he is like some people who almost abuse the ruggedness of the Casio, you be better off to wait for the next ruggedized phone and if needed buy a used or overstock Commando to get by. Some people have been known to do stuff like drop the Commando in an oil tub, then spray it off with a pressure washer to get it clean, or keep it in their pocket well being a dish washer or working in a car wash, for those instances there are few phones that have cases that can stand up to that, but some of the iPhone cases can get pretty ruggedized... at a price!

Get the story straight. It fell off an oil rig, into the cellar, sucked into a vacuum truck, pushed out into a water/dirt separator and pulled out with a front end loader. It did put a scratch on the side. Can you believe that?

Upvote 0
Get the story straight. It fell off an oil rig, into the cellar, sucked into a vacuum truck, pushed out into a water/dirt separator and pulled out with a front end loader. It did put a scratch on the side. Can you believe that?
LOL... Wow! I had heard some stories from the oil fields, being right next to the Bakken oil fields, but this one takes the cake!

Don't think any regular smartphone with a case that costs anything less than the full retail of the phone would have helped it survive that (if there is such a thing), there is definitely a need for a quality, ruggedized smartphone out there. Guess I see why all the oil field workers snag up every used cell phone that goes up for sale in the local classifieds, almost immediately, they are pretty much disposable out there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones