• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

any custom UI close to sense?

Download LauncherPro from the market and set it as your Home. If you want a nice looking clock I guess you could get Beautiful Widgets from the market. Someone with more experience with sense than me will probably chime in, but I think you can do most everything and more with LauncherPro.....and the customizable dock on LauncherPro is fantastic. Don't forget to set up "gestures" so each icon can launch two different apps.

edit: I haven't used it yet, but ADW is another home replacement that is highly customizable and has a lot of different "themes" which might be up your alley too. Go to youtube and search "ADW app review" and "Launcher Pro review".......

Upvote 0
Improved browser, messaging and email apps. Friendstream to combine all the social site interaction (facebook, twitter, flickr and such). And of course the 7 homescreens, widgets and news reader. While I was using the Hero and Evo I never felt the need to go to third party apps for email and messaging.

True, but all the stuff you named could be easily replaced on any nice Android phone.

Browser = Skyfire (?)
Messaging = Handcent
Email = k9

Friendstream = pretty sure that Launcher Pro Plus has that widget, as well as the 7 homescreens

From what I remember, the things that Sense has that can't be replaced easily is the exchange support, copy and paste, and the phone profiles (different scenes)

I'm trying to list out all the appropiate facts from memory but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

oh yea, if you want the big Sense clock, you can download Fancywidget.apk if you don't feel like using Beautiful Home

Upvote 0
The question wasn't "what apps and widgets in the market replace the enhancements in Sense?" It was just a question of what the features were. And exchange became integrated into stock android with 2.1 and if I'm not mistaken, enhanced in 2.2.

Also, I prefer certain functionality to be available stock so it's less crap I have to download to get that "basic" functionality that should be available in a stock smartphone OS. I don't want to download maildroid or k9 if I don't have to.

Upvote 0
Ironically, you're correcting everyone's understanding of the question but also seem uninterested in recognizing or answering it.

The question wasn't, "could you please list every feature on the Evo that's lacking or inferior on the Epic, dbpaddler?" The question was literally this: "is ther[e] any custom UI close to Sense UI?" In other words, is there a way to recreate all or part of the experience of using Sense?

Clearly, the cosmetic aspects of Sense are only one part of that experience. But the people who replied suggested the cosmetic approach because it's the first layer of recreation. If you were really interested in answering the question, you'd have gone on to augment those suggested surface enhancements with any deeper ones you had to offer.

Instead, you seem mostly interested in bashing the Epic and praising the Evo on an Epic forum, which is a fairly inappropriate thing to do and also fails to answer the OP's question.

======================

That said, I like your list of Sense's strong points: It's straightforward, inclusive and ends with a helpful summary.

Sense has offered you more than surface-level attractiveness and you've conveyed that well.

The question wasn't "what apps and widgets in the market replace the enhancements in Sense?" It was just a question of what the features were. And exchange became integrated into stock android with 2.1 and if I'm not mistaken, enhanced in 2.2.

Also, I prefer certain functionality to be available stock so it's less crap I have to download to get that "basic" functionality that should be available in a stock smartphone OS. I don't want to download maildroid or k9 if I don't have to.

Reactions: Eazail70x7
Upvote 0
I didn't ignore or avoid anything. I answered the below question.
I have no experience with HTC hand sets. What other features or advantages does sense offer?

I also own the Epic. I appreciate the kind words at the end, but you can't assume that if someone states something you feel is negative that they are bashing the product. I also own the Evo and I readily point out things I like and dislike about both. There's no reason to get defensive about it. And the negatives are more of a knock on stock android, not the epic. Stock android simply comes up small when it comes to smartphone functionality compared to the smartphone OS's of old. HTC is really the only company that makes a halfway decent attempt at rectifying that . Sure you can download 3rd party apps to compensate, but you should only have to do that to augment stock functionality, not create it. Though Gingerbread could make all that moot. Let's hope we get it on our phones and not have to wait a year to upgrade to it.

Upvote 0
I didn't ignore or avoid anything. I answered the below question.

I also own the Epic. I appreciate the kind words at the end, but you can't assume that if someone states something you feel is negative that they are bashing the product. I also own the Evo and I readily point out things I like and dislike about both. There's no reason to get defensive about it. And the negatives are more of a knock on stock android, not the epic. Stock android simply comes up small when it comes to smartphone functionality compared to the smartphone OS's of old. HTC is really the only company that makes a halfway decent attempt at rectifying that . Sure you can download 3rd party apps to compensate, but you should only have to do that to augment stock functionality, not create it. Though Gingerbread could make all that moot. Let's hope we get it on our phones and not have to wait a year to upgrade to it.

Thank you

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones