• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any cyclists?

Hmm bikes have gotten pricey. I'm looking into a road bike also. I've always known Trek to be amongst the best though I can't say I know my stuff. It's been a very long time since I've owned one. Just been a lazy auto driver.

I have my heart set on the Emonda ALR. Friggin gorgeous...
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/road-bikes/performance-road-bikes/émonda/émonda-alr/émonda-alr-4-disc/p/23657/?colorCode=black

Now a mountain bike would be nice also for the versatility in which case I'm thinking a Powerfly also by Trek.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Does anyone know their stuff about bikes?
I'm looking to get a good road bike. Lightweight carbon fibre frame. Budget around £1k.
Any recommendations?

Reach out to this guy.

https://www.facebook.com/steve.smull/about?lst=730131340:1177630563:1551056748

He's a longtime friend ... We've known each other since grade school ... so looooooongtime. He's a former Olympian cyclist and has kept up with the sport. He's also an accomplished photographer, a punk rocker and in possession of a sense of humor that would make St. Peter pee his robes. Unfortunately he's also a Mac/iPhone user so you'll never see him in these forums.

Upvote 0
When I cycled, I seriously cycled with clip on pedals. They are a great aid in pedaling because you can pull up on one pedal while pushing down with the other. Your shoe clips onto the pedal and it takes an outward twist of the foot to remove the hookup. My first night out riding with the clip on pedals I rode up between cars waiting their turn at an intersection and a curb. When I slowed to a stop I naturally put my foot out to rest my bike while I waited my turn to go. That action resulted in me tossing myself to the dirt with the bike on top of me. Was pretty hilarious. :)

Shimano-SPD-double-sided.jpg

Upvote 0
Good information, thanks folks.
You know I didn't realise just how light these carbon frames are. We are talking less than 1kg!! Of course the rest of the bike's fittings add weight, but it's still a massive difference between my steel frame mountain bike, with chunky tyres. I'd like to see Chris Frome get up the Etapes du Tour riding that :D:p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones