• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any difference- Google Contacts and Syncing

droiduzr2

Android Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2010
I notice that when I placed a contact and under Groups I remove them from MY Contacts but place them under their own group name they do not seem to sync to my phone.

I hope I am clear here:
So in GOOGLE I make a new contact.
Under Groups Menu I remove the check from My Contacts BUT place a check under i.e. work then click save.

When I look on my phone they do not show up at all BUT if I place the check back into MyContacts AND Work then it will show up.

What gives:D

It would be smarter if they created a minisection that says sync "these contacts" with the phone only. Does this exist?

I am reading this thread, but this is based on the phone setting
http://androidforums.com/htc-hero-sprint/42318-gmail-contacts-added-automatically-emails.html

I notice that when I placed a contact and under Groups I remove them from MY Contacts but place them under their own group name they do not seem to sync to my phone.

I hope I am clear here:
So in GOOGLE I make a new contact.
Under Groups Menu I remove the check from My Contacts BUT place a check under i.e. work then click save.

When I look on my phone they do not show up at all BUT if I place the check back into MyContacts AND Work then it will show up.

What gives:D

It would be smarter if they created a minisection that says sync "these contacts" with the phone only. Does this exist?

I am reading this thread, but this is based on the phone setting
http://androidforums.com/htc-hero-sprint/42318-gmail-contacts-added-automatically-emails.html

I find the complete opposite. NONE of my contacts are in the "my contacts" group. I've created several groups and they all sync just fine.

On your device click people (contacts), then click menu, then view. What is checked?

Upvote 0
I think I figured it out.
In Google it will put everyone by default in the My Contacts group and you have to REMOVE the check box even if you put them into another group.

Now this is where it gets tricky because you are thinking whatever you do in Google it should sync to the phone. It does not.

This is why or how to fix it.

Now do this:
1. go into the Contacts, click your contacts
2. now click the Menu button
3. now pick the Display Options (I am on 2.2) it's an icon with 3 head for the LG EVE.
4. chose your GOOGLE account displayed on the phone
5. this will show you the entire list of GROUPS that you made
6. now just put a check mark next to the Groups that you want to sync with the phone.
7. Now go and resync your phone AFTER you put everything and created the Groups you wanted in GOOGLE. Remember to REMOVE the check box under the My Contacts. You CAN do a GROUP instead of having to go into each contact to set the group.
Just put everyone into the group you want then go into that group at the top click the check box to select ALL then go to change Groups and you REMOVE the groups they are in and just click the one group they should belong to which they already are in. Click apply and that's it.

Now I have no idea what they mean by PHONE contacts to sync.
This option is on the phone just above your google account. Mine is set to all. There are 3 options:
1. Phone
2. SIM
3. Your Google account (your name will be displayed) click that to get the full list.

This is good being able to choose which contacts you want on your phone BUT still having the ones you do not want on your GOOGLE contacts. I made a Group Z-Archives where I place old phone numbers. By using Z it puts it to the bottom of my list and keeps it out of my way:D Of course this is one of the groups NOT set to sync on my phone:D

They really should make a video or something to teach people how to use these features or manage their contacts.

*You can have the same contact surface in any group you want just by adding them, so the same person can be a part of several groups (not sure why you would do this).

Upvote 0
Very confusing with:

"Google" Groups in Android - that is sync import from Gmail "My Contact"
Not able to sync import from Gmail "Family" & "Friends" & "Work" groups into Android "Family" & "Friends" & "Work"

"Group" field in Android - only available in "Phone", not in SIM or Google
How to copy "Google" group to Phone? so that I can create and edit content of "Group" field, or move from "Google" group into "Family" & "Friends" & "Work" groups

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones