• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Any downside to having a prototype device?

Bexy

Android Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2010
North East England
gizmodot.com
Asking this here as I couldn't find an Xperia Z3 tablet (compact) forum.

Anyway, I got the tablet yesterday and am very happy with it so far. In fact I love it, as does my partner so have ordered her one. This one however came from Gumtree (think Craigslist). I checked it all over and all looked good, didn't come with a receipt but, hardly anything ever does so I went ahead and got it as seemed a decent deal.

It was already restored so I put some of my stuff on it. Decided about half an hour ago though to go ahead and give it a restore and set it up through all the steps. Go through all the steps then get a notification that it's a prototype device - so usage stats will be sent to Sony and in the settings menu for usage stats it says this can't be disabled on prototype devices.
Am wondering if there is any downsides to having a prototype device? Everything appears to work as it should and I am happy with the tablet but, I wasn't told it was a prototype device so not happy about that.

I totally understand you not being happy about not being told beforehand that it was a prototype device, and I'd say the most obvious downside is that being a prototype, it's not "polished" or "finished" and the "final" version usually will have features that a prototype doesn't have. HOWEVER, on the upside, a prototype is rare for sure, and they are produced in limited numbers, so it could be worth something on the collectors market one day. All and all I'd say that if it works properly and you are happy with it I wouldn't sweat it too much!

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply. I like the idea of having a rare one :-D. Am very happy with it so it's not going anywhere. My partner's came today and model number is exactly the same as is the firmware and build number info. Only difference is can see is hers had eBay and Dropbox preinstalled as well as Amazon and Amazon MP3 and Wise Pilot while mine has Garmin navigation instead and Kobo preinstalled. But hers is locked to O2 so they could have preinstalled those apps along with the O2 app that's on there. Everything works as it should though and love it. Made a test phone call on it which I didn't know it did and sent some texts lol.

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones