• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any females with Nexus?

It may be a bit too early to ask. At this point, I've seen only five people with Galaxy Nexuses, and one of those people is me.

I have, however, seen plenty of women with Android phones (not the Galaxy Nexus in particular), though, and also plenty of men with iPhones.

Back in December, Nielsen did a study and found men slightly preferred Android to iPhone, and women slightly preferred iPhone to Android. The margin isn't that large, though:

Women
30.9% iOS
22.8% Android
12.5% Blackberry

Men
28.6% iOS
32.6% Android
12.8% Blackberry

Any study like this (even with 9200 respondents) will still have a margin of error. 28.6% and 30.9% aren't really that different statistically speaking. 32.6% and 22.8% are statistically significantly different, but also not terribly that much.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Agreed, phone use is not gender specific.

We have a whole thread on this in the Lounge.

http://androidforums.com/lounge/475885-not-sexist-but.html

Some may think that the iPhone is girly but that's not reasonable. The iPhone wasn't the best selling phone for years by selling primarily to women and Android hasn't replaced iOS as the phone os of choice by selling to men.

As for the Nexus, during the pre-release and release we heard from plenty of women really liking the Nexus, so you can't really make a case for the size difference unless just guessing.

The observations really come from the circles you run in. Among the women I know, the overwhelming majority use Android.

It really doesn't relate to tech background, gender or age.

We're talking about huge amounts of phones being sold and small, highly inaccurate, studies and surveys being done on this.

Upvote 0
The second person in line behind me was a woman on launch day(GNex). Had a Dinc. Unfortunately she decided it(The GNex) was too big for her, and she walked out with a 4S instead. She fell in a very small group of people that want top of the line in a smaller form factor. The 4S is the only option for those people... All the top shelf Android phones are big (the Dinc was the last of the small form factor, awesome specs breed).

Upvote 0
The second person in line behind me was a woman on launch day(GNex). Had a Dinc. Unfortunately she decided it(The GNex) was too big for her, and she walked out with a 4S instead. She fell in a very small group of people that want top of the line in a smaller form factor. The 4S is the only option for those people... All the top shelf Android phones are big (the Dinc was the last of the small form factor, awesome specs breed).

My advice for those people is always TRY IT FOR A WEEK... I was worried about the size (came from a Dinc) and the first time you hold a Gnex compared to that it feels intimidating. After week I picked up my dinc and it felt tiny, unusable.

Upvote 0
I was wondering if any of you've seen any females using a GN. Most of the time, it's girls tapping on their iphones.
Yes, a number of my female friends own or want one.

Just the same, a number of my female friends also own an iPhone.

I wouldn't really link anything to gender. The iPhone is popular, period, but people certainly do purchase other products.

Upvote 0
My wife has one and she loves it. Her gf's who have iphones love the gnex as well once they try it and want to switch for the big screen and lte. The main reason in my opinion that apple is keeping up is that they spend hundreds of millions on advertising, $690 mil int 2010. I don't know how much goog and samsung spent on advertising the gnex but seems pretty close to zilch based on the number of ads i see for it.

Upvote 0
I have only seen 2 in the wild (other than mine) and they were owned by a couple.

so in my experience, 33% of galaxy nexus owners are women :)

also, this was only a few days after launch day, and i noticed this phone which i had never seen before...it was crazy looking (in some funky slick looking case) but as soon as i saw the lock screen i knew what it was. such an awesome looking phone.

Upvote 0
me.

I love it.

haunted BB waiting for launch date. ran, did not walk down to BB on launch day and mine was the second one off the truck after one of the BB kids got his.

my hands are small and my GN is relatively big so it felt like it was going to fly away when I was using it on the move. but I got used to it with the help of a nice gooey case.

goes with me EVERYwhere.

Upvote 0
My wife came with me to buy a galaxy nexus on launch day for VZW. She loves Samsung hardware and will never steer away from it. Its all about the screen, she loves the quality of Samsung screens. The galaxy nexus has been her favorite phone to date, she likes stock android better than Motorola's blur. She has never wanted an iphone. Then again both of us hate apple's products mostly cause they are a waste of money and aren't really high tech anyways.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones