1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Any females with Nexus?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ANewDay, Feb 20, 2012.

1. ANewDay

ANewDay Well-Known Member

I was wondering if any of you've seen any females using a GN. Most of the time, it's girls tapping on their iphones.

Advertisement

2. aysiu

aysiu Android Expert

It may be a bit too early to ask. At this point, I've seen only five people with Galaxy Nexuses, and one of those people is me.

I have, however, seen plenty of women with Android phones (not the Galaxy Nexus in particular), though, and also plenty of men with iPhones.

Back in December, Nielsen did a study and found men slightly preferred Android to iPhone, and women slightly preferred iPhone to Android. The margin isn't that large, though:

Women
    30.9% iOS
    22.8% Android
    12.5% Blackberry

Men
    28.6% iOS
    32.6% Android
    12.8% Blackberry

Any study like this (even with 9200 respondents) will still have a margin of error. 28.6% and 30.9% aren't really that different statistically speaking. 32.6% and 22.8% are statistically significantly different, but also not terribly that much.

EarlyMon likes this.
  3. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

Agreed, phone use is not gender specific.

We have a whole thread on this in the Lounge.

http://androidforums.com/lounge/475885-not-sexist-but.html

Some may think that the iPhone is girly but that's not reasonable. The iPhone wasn't the best selling phone for years by selling primarily to women and Android hasn't replaced iOS as the phone os of choice by selling to men.

As for the Nexus, during the pre-release and release we heard from plenty of women really liking the Nexus, so you can't really make a case for the size difference unless just guessing.

The observations really come from the circles you run in. Among the women I know, the overwhelming majority use Android.

It really doesn't relate to tech background, gender or age.

We're talking about huge amounts of phones being sold and small, highly inaccurate, studies and surveys being done on this.

4. AntimonyER

AntimonyER CHANGED FROM AF ADDICT MIKESTONY

The second person in line behind me was a woman on launch day(GNex). Had a Dinc. Unfortunately she decided it(The GNex) was too big for her, and she walked out with a 4S instead. She fell in a very small group of people that want top of the line in a smaller form factor. The 4S is the only option for those people... All the top shelf Android phones are big (the Dinc was the last of the small form factor, awesome specs breed).

5. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Android Expert

My advice for those people is always TRY IT FOR A WEEK... I was worried about the size (came from a Dinc) and the first time you hold a Gnex compared to that it feels intimidating. After week I picked up my dinc and it felt tiny, unusable.

6. slyd

slyd Android Enthusiast

This girl has a rooted white EVO 4G. Rooted I myself. :) I love this phone- it will be a dilemma when I am eligible for next upgrade in a couple of months. I will hate to say goodbye. Checking out other forums to see the possibilities. Could be a GN.

7. sqterry

sqterry Newbie

I'm a girl with a galaxy nexus & I love it

8. krouget

krouget Android Enthusiast

Yes, a number of my female friends own or want one.

Just the same, a number of my female friends also own an iPhone.

I wouldn't really link anything to gender. The iPhone is popular, period, but people certainly do purchase other products.

9. Neera

Neera Well-Known Member

*raises hand*

Got my GN on launch day. Been an Android girl since Droid Eris and loving it. :)
    Never had an iPhone and never will.
    It's enough I occasionally have to handle/troubleshoot iPhones @work.

Watson111505 and quiklives like this.
  10. Jay3

Jay3 Android Enthusiast

My wife has one. We both got them on launch day.

11. sourmilk

sourmilk Member

My wife has one and she loves it. Her gf's who have iphones love the gnex as well once they try it and want to switch for the big screen and lte. The main reason in my opinion that apple is keeping up is that they spend hundreds of millions on advertising, $690 mil int 2010. I don't know how much goog and samsung spent on advertising the gnex but seems pretty close to zilch based on the number of ads i see for it.

12. Turdbogls

Turdbogls Android Expert

I have only seen 2 in the wild (other than mine) and they were owned by a couple.

so in my experience, 33% of galaxy nexus owners are women :)

also, this was only a few days after launch day, and i noticed this phone which i had never seen before...it was crazy looking (in some funky slick looking case) but as soon as i saw the lock screen i knew what it was. such an awesome looking phone.

13. quiklives

quiklives Android Enthusiast

Another female with a Nexus here. I'm 5'5", and the Nexus does *not* feel too big in my hand.

Also, I have a Gnex circle on G+ with over 200 people, and while I wouldn't say that half of them are women, a significant portion are. Maybe 1/3?

14. sperho

sperho Android Enthusiast

The only other person that I know who has a Galaxy Nexus is a woman.

15. Jay3

Jay3 Android Enthusiast

Any interest in sharing that circle with me? I'll PM my Google+ profile.

16. rjack22

rjack22 Newbie

I am also a female with a Nexus! Love it! I got it two weeks after its launch.

17. atakin77

atakin77 Well-Known Member

My wife got a GNex last weekend. Biggest adjustment for her was no keyboard - she came from a D2. Size wasn't too much of an issue for her as she was used to playing with Thunderbolt and then the Gnex when I got mine. She does like the weight of the Gnex much better than the D2 and TB...

18. NexusTootsie

NexusTootsie Well-Known Member

me.

I love it.

haunted BB waiting for launch date. ran, did not walk down to BB on launch day and mine was the second one off the truck after one of the BB kids got his.

my hands are small and my GN is relatively big so it felt like it was going to fly away when I was using it on the move. but I got used to it with the help of a nice gooey case.

goes with me EVERYwhere.

19. escman

escman Newbie

My wife came with me to buy a galaxy nexus on launch day for VZW. She loves Samsung hardware and will never steer away from it. Its all about the screen, she loves the quality of Samsung screens. The galaxy nexus has been her favorite phone to date, she likes stock android better than Motorola's blur. She has never wanted an iphone. Then again both of us hate apple's products mostly cause they are a waste of money and aren't really high tech anyways.

20. fed123

fed123 Newbie

I have yet to see anyone else with a GN but there is a woman who posts frequently in the GNex section of xda developers forum, a pretty heavy place.

21. quiklives

quiklives Android Enthusiast

Added you earlier but just saw this. Will share the circle as soon as I'm back on a computer!

22. crankerchick

crankerchick Android Enthusiast

Girl with Galaxy Nexus here. Purchased launch weekend. There was a male/female couple getting them as well when I bought mine. I only know one other person with the phone though, and he's a dude. I've been on Android since the launch of the OG Droid. Rooted, ROMd, and loving it. iPhone is kryptonite!

23. Jay3

Jay3 Android Enthusiast

Love to hear stuff like this.

crankerchick likes this.
  24. Mommy2KRA

Mommy2KRA Lurker

My first and only "smart" phone is the GN. I am the only person i know with one (every one else has an I-phone). So far i'm happy with it. A few things that drive me nuts, but overall its great. i really like the size of it.

25. GalaxyN

GalaxyN Newbie

Another female here - love my Nexus. I was in Vegas over the weekend and saw many Nexi - mostly in the hands of other women! Lots of iPhones too for both men and women.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews
Tags: