• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Any fix for long ShutDown yet?

acesrichie

Lurker
Apr 24, 2010
Like the title says. My desire takes ages to shut down, I'm talking like a couple of hours or more!! the only other person I know with one is having the same problem :thinking:

I was watching a couple of threads on this subject with various solutions but nothing definative.

I'm on Orange, not many apps installed really.

This is the only problem i have with my desire, the phone is awesmoe otherwise. I love it.

I would love it even more if I could turn it off when i wanted to tho :D

Thanks, Richie

Clearing the cache worked for me.

My desire had started taking 2 or 3 minutes to shut down recently, but after clearing the cache it now shuts down in under 10 seconds again :cool:

Im guessing the slow shutdown was due to it backing up all the extra stuff in the phones cache to the sd card, because I also noticed I gained 22mb of internal phone storage back the first time I cleared the cache.

Note: The first shutdown after clearing the cache was still slow, but after rebooting it shut down quickly from then on.

The last few days Ive been clearing the cache daily and the slow shutdown hasnt returned ... yet (fingers crossed)

Upvote 0
It's because it's doing your backup to the SD card.
HTC are looking into it

No, it's not.

Affected users can disable SD card backup and it still happens.

From what I've been reading, there are various causes and users have individually offered their own solutions, which is fine if it works for them. Turning off backup, un-mounting the SD card will not necessarily help you if your phone has this problem, however.

Ultimately, there has to be something a bit wacky with the shutdown process itself. If you think about what that actually involves, it means politely asking any running services to terminate and flushing any files to storage. However, there's a zillion reasons why a process can refuse to terminate gracefully. Just say, for example, you have a background service that periodically gets a list of chip-shop opening times from the internet. It's half way through that job when connectivity is lost. If it's badly written, it might just keep plugging away until the connection comes back, and ignore any requests for it to stop. Or you might have a process that keeps trying to write to a file on the SD card that's unavailable. That might mean your shutdown will take forever.

IMHO, Android should take a more aggressive approach in circumstances like that and kill long-running processes when a shutdown has been initiated. If I tell my phone to shutdown, it's for a reason and that's what I expect to happen. Realistically, if that hasn't happened after a few minutes I'm going to be taking the battery out. If I'm inclined to do that, Android should save me the inconvenience and do it for me.

Upvote 0
No, it's not.

Affected users can disable SD card backup and it still happens.

From what I've been reading, there are various causes and users have individually offered their own solutions, which is fine if it works for them. Turning off backup, un-mounting the SD card will not necessarily help you if your phone has this problem, however.

Ultimately, there has to be something a bit wacky with the shutdown process itself. If you think about what that actually involves, it means politely asking any running services to terminate and flushing any files to storage. However, there's a zillion reasons why a process can refuse to terminate gracefully. Just say, for example, you have a background service that periodically gets a list of chip-shop opening times from the internet. It's half way through that job when connectivity is lost. If it's badly written, it might just keep plugging away until the connection comes back, and ignore any requests for it to stop. Or you might have a process that keeps trying to write to a file on the SD card that's unavailable. That might mean your shutdown will take forever.

IMHO, Android should take a more aggressive approach in circumstances like that and kill long-running processes when a shutdown has been initiated. If I tell my phone to shutdown, it's for a reason and that's what I expect to happen. Realistically, if that hasn't happened after a few minutes I'm going to be taking the battery out. If I'm inclined to do that, Android should save me the inconvenience and do it for me.

I think you're absolutely right!

Btw, are any of you guys on Froyo? Is Froyo doing this too?

Upvote 0
When I first got my Desire it used to power off in seconds.
I noticed the slow power off problem a few weeks ago.
Last week I was taking a flight and turned my Desire off. One and a half hours in to the flight it was still closing down, so I took the battery out.
On the return flight I switched the phone to flight mode.
However, it was announced before take off that all mobiles should be switched off during take off.

Deleting my Advance Task Killer did not sort the problem, had to take the battery out.

How do you clear the cache? Worth a try?

A fix to this problem would be much appreciated.

Upvote 0
How do you clear the cache? Worth a try?

Open the Internet browser then click on 'menu', select 'more' then select 'settings', scroll down until you see 'Clear cache' (clear locally cached content and databases).

Its worth a try as this worked for me (reduced shutdown time from 2 to 3 minutes to 5 to 10 seconds), and the problem hasnt come back in the last few weeks.

From reading the forums it looks like theres a few reasons for slow shutdown on the HTC Desire, so it depends whats causing yours I guess. Goodluck ;)

Reactions: Jeffers
Upvote 0
Hi M-Y,

Followed your instructions and cleared cache.

Now back to original, less than two second close down.

Excellent result!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Couple of extra queries:-

1. Is it possible to set up a clear cache shortcut?

2. If you close down and it starts taking an age, is there any way you can back out of the close down routine (other than taking the battery out)?
Which would then allow the clearing of the cache and re-closedown.

Cheers

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones