• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any good am3+ gaming boards left?

ROBOCRIPPLE

Apr 9, 2016
I bought my gaming PC pre-built back in 2015. It came with an msi 760GMA-P34 (FX) motherboard, which was advertised as "Military Grade II". While I was able to use it just fine for high-end PC gaming, there are a few things that I'm not too happy with.

First is the on-board audio. Audio coming from the speakers is ok, but if I plug in headphones via the audio jack on my desktop case, I hear static in the background every time I play a PC game. That's why I plugged in a headphone DAC/amp.

Second is the low number of ports. This mobo has only 4 USB 2.0 ports and 2 USB 3.0 ports, and one 3.0 header and two 2.0 headers, which give me the maximum number of 2.0 ports of 8 and 3.0 ports of 4. Thing is, my case has only one 2.0 port and 3.0 port each, and I have multiple USB 2.0 devices plugged into my PC at once, which is why I have a USB 2.0 hub plugged in. The three 3.0 ports are just fine for VR such as Oculus Rift, but even if I do get a headset, I tend to leave it plugged into the three 3.0 ports because I'm kinda lazy, and I don't want my PC to have cables sticking from the top or front all the time. The lack of USB 3.0 ports is the reason why I have a USB 3.0 PCIe card plugged into the PC, which brings me to the lack of PCIe slots on the mobo. I have my GTX 1060 connected to the PCIe x16 slot and the x4 slot is located just 1 space below, which makes the graphics card cover that slot completely, so I had to buy an extension kit for that PCIe x4 slot and as a result, the inside of my desktop PC doesn't look great. The mobo also has an old-school PCI slot which doesn't seem to be working; I plugged in a USB 2.0 card and the devices that I plugged into it were not working at all, which is why I still have a USB hub plugged in.

I've been looking for a new motherboard with the features that I'd like to have, on newegg.ca and Amazon.ca:
  • Multiple PCIe x16 and x4 slots
  • 8 or more USB 2.0 ports
  • 4 USB 3.0 ports
  • USB 3.1 Gen2
  • No Video-Out
  • Built-in DAC for on-board audio
  • RGB-Out for LED strips
But the ones that I saw recently do not support AM3/AM3+ or DDR3. My PC's CPU is an AMD FX-8350, which is AM3+, and my 16GB of memory are DDR3. The ones that do support AM3/+ and DDR3 do not have all of the features that I'm looking for. So, the only way I can really upgrade my motherboard is to upgrade my CPU to an AM4/Ryzen/Intel Core and RAM to DDR4 as well. And that will likely cost me a lot of money. Really, I just want to upgrade my mobo.

I've heard that AMD Ryzen is a huge upgrade over FX. I've been playing fairly recent games (up to 2016?) with my current FX in ultra settings just fine. Is upgrading to Ryzen worth it?

Last edited:

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones