• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any good dialers or lockscreen replacements?

critcher

Feb 8, 2012
Hello!

Lovely new phone, but I'm not mad keen on the actual phone experience part. Contact pictures on incoming calls are enormous and then cropped. Can anyone recommend a replacement?

The other thing is the lockscreen. I was thinking about using teslacoils widgetlocker, but some of the reviews led me to think that it might not be optimised for jelly bean. Has anyone here used it, and is it any good?

:)

Hello!

Lovely new phone, but I'm not mad keen on the actual phone experience part. Contact pictures on incoming calls are enormous and then cropped. Can anyone recommend a replacement?

The other thing is the lockscreen. I was thinking about using teslacoils widgetlocker, but some of the reviews led me to think that it might not be optimised for jelly bean. Has anyone here used it, and is it any good?

Actually go locker is pretty decent for a replacement, I used widget locker about a year ago, it was alright. Sometimes would have to double unlock with it. I only recommend it if you want the droid style unlocker. Otherwise try out go locker. You can choose from ics jb gb any many more style themed lockers.

always used stock dialer so can't help ya with that one.

Sent From My HTC Evo 3D Using TapaTalk 2

Upvote 0

I use WidgetLocker and love it. I'm not sure about JB, but it works great with ICS. There are so many options, and the dev is great and always keeps his apps up to date so it should work fine with JB. Also he made Nova Launcher if you want to try a different launcher.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies!

Go locker looks good (so many themes!), but I'd need to use go launcher too, and I'm happy with nova for now. I'll probably check it out though. Any excuse to tinker!!

DW is downloading right now.

I'm still undecided about widget locker. All I'm wondering is if it plays nicely with the nexus on jelly bean. Some of the market comments suggest not. Maybe I'll bookmark it and check back.

Upvote 0
Hello!

You could give Go Contacts a try. It's been awhile since I've used it, but I think it also themes the dialer (there's dozens upon dozens of themes out there for it).

WidgetLocker is by far the best (best few bucks I've ever spent for an app), with literally hundreds of different themes for your lockscreen. Check out XDA Developers forum, there's a humongous themes thread there somewhere. Yes, works awesome with Jelly Bean, too. ;)

If you want a free lockscreen themer you can give GoLocker a try. A few nice themes, but some of the free ones on the Google Play come installed with AirPush ads (these are bad bad bad) so you really have to be careful with what you download.

Just an FYI. You *can* use GoLocker without using GoLauncherEX. Simply use a Home switcher app to force the default launcher of your choice. As long as GoLauncher is at least sitting installed on your phone, GoLocker works just fine.

Reactions: critcher
Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies!

Go locker looks good (so many themes!), but I'd need to use go launcher too, and I'm happy with nova for now. I'll probably check it out though. Any excuse to tinker!!

DW is downloading right now.

I'm still undecided about widget locker. All I'm wondering is if it plays nicely with the nexus on jelly bean. Some of the market comments suggest not. Maybe I'll bookmark it and check back.

I'm downloading a JB ROM for my phone right now. I'll let you know if I have any problems with widgetlocker.

Upvote 0
Just an FYI. You *can* use GoLocker without using GoLauncherEX. Simply use a Home switcher app to force the default launcher of your choice. As long as GoLauncher is at least sitting installed on your phone, GoLocker works just fine.

I think that has to be todays top tip! Thanks!

I will check out go contacts and go locker, and it's good to hear that widget locker plays nice with JB.

I tried magic locker last night, and although it looks good it was a bit laggy. No point in downgrading!!

I'm not sure that it's really the dialer that I have a problem with. I think it might be just the caller ID screen. I downloaded "Full Screen Caller ID", and it was better, except that it actually is full screen! My contact images aren't hd enough for that. At least I have another option to search for.

Thanks for all your help, people of the interweb!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones