• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any good free phone call recording apps.

Miui rom has a native call recording app built into it. There is some effort into porting Miui to the Prevail in the root section of this forum. The only call recording app that I've used is the one on Miui. It records whatever comes into the phone speaker and whatever is picked up with the mic. When on bluetooth the part of the conversation on this side is not recorded...

Good luck.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure about laws. I know if you do not have explicit permission to do the recording then it is not admissible in court. I've recorded many conversations with clients using Miui rom. I know what questions to ask them, when I'm out in the field and unable to take notes, but I cannot remember the details. I listen to them later to take notes.

Is it illegal to do so without asking them before? IDK. But if it is no one has come down on me yet. I think it is like speeding or robbing a bank. Its only a crime if you get caught at it!

Upvote 0
I'm not sure about laws. I know if you do not have explicit permission to do the recording then it is not admissible in court. I've recorded many conversations with clients using Miui rom. I know what questions to ask them, when I'm out in the field and unable to take notes, but I cannot remember the details. I listen to them later to take notes.

Is it illegal to do so without asking them before? IDK. But if it is no one has come down on me yet. I think it is like speeding or robbing a bank. Its only a crime if you get caught at it!

Law regarding recording is different state to state. Here in Ohio only one party to the conversation is required to know the recording is happening (same as federal law), so as long as I know and I am an active participant in the convo I can record both sides at will without informing the other party. In the event one party to the conversation is in one state and the other party is in a different state, the state laws are superseded by federal law and again only one party to the conversation must consent.

Only the following states require both/all parties to consent:
California
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida

Massachusetts
Maryland
Michigan
Montana

New Hampshire
Pennsylvania
Washington

However, I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice. Check your own states law books which are easily searchable online.

Upvote 0
Hmmmmm, I had "Total Recall S2" installed and it didn't work well, I even talked to their t3ech. support and they said it won't work.....

Well, I am downloading the one you suggested LV.... can you give me some specific settings you tried ???

I just set it to record both sides of the conversation... made a call, and it recorded it... Lolz, both sides

Upvote 0
Not sure what it is, but it certainly doesn't work here with CTMod..... AND, if I go to "Audio>>Advanced>>Manual Settings, I HAVE to turn on "Turn on Speakerphone while recording" or I hear no recordings at all.

But turning on the speakerphone while recording, defeats the purpose of recording !! And it will turn on speakerphone n every call you make or receive, so everyone can hear the conversation.....

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to use this feature. On my old HTC ( with AT&T ), I had always a call recorder running..... and it helped me several times.....

Upvote 0
Not sure what it is, but it certainly doesn't work here with CTMod..... AND, if I go to "Audio>>Advanced>>Manual Settings, I HAVE to turn on "Turn on Speakerphone while recording" or I hear no recordings at all.

But turning on the speakerphone while recording, defeats the purpose of recording !! And it will turn on speakerphone n every call you make or receive, so everyone can hear the conversation.....

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to use this feature. On my old HTC ( with AT&T ), I had always a call recorder running..... and it helped me several times.....

Lol, actually, I did have it on speaker phone... I'll try without.

Edit-Nope, you're right... It didn't record the other end of the call without speaker phone. :(

Back to the drawing board..

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones