• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any good persuaders here? Then Persuade me! Motion Vs ZTE Avid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just did a very quick overview of both phones since I had not been keeping up with new Metro phones.

Again, I only quickly glanced at the specs but right off the bat I notice that the best things the ZTE has over the Motion would be:

• Bigger Screen 4" vs 3.5"
  • Bigger Screen has higher resolution 480x800 vs 320x480
  • ZTE has a light sensor which is nice.
What I feel the Motion has over the ZTE (other people can correct me or add more to this list):

• More RAM 1GB vs 512 mb
  • More internal storage 5GB vs 2.3GB
  • Gorilla Glass vs standard glass
  • 1080p video recording vs 720p recording
  • Talk time 5.4 hours vs 4 hours
Certainly the slightly larger screen of the ZTE will make more people interested in it I think.

Reactions: Sepero and Davolt
Upvote 0
...it will heat up fast and it does not appeal to my eyes......

Yeah, I can't put my finger on it but the ZTE just doesn't have the greatest look to it, though I haven't seen it in person yet.

Plus it just has a standard glass screen which I wonder how long it will last. I have dropped my Motion twice and it has held up great, though I don't want to keep testing the strength of this glass!

COME ON HANDS! HOLD ON TO MY PHONE!:pound:

Upvote 0
While Metro has a few cases for it, not one case for the Avid has hit Fleabay yet.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

I was at the mall yesterday and this dude had a stand called Ghost Armor or some shit, he dropped the S3 facing the front on the ground and the glass was still intact, (I also bought myself a case for my LG Motion and screen protector) but anyway i was wondering if you guys had any clue on this ghost armor shit. Looks legit to me.

Upvote 0
Zte Avid further specs: (Vellamo)

Board: Snapdragon elden
CPU: Dual-core, 1512MHz

Some minor features compared to the LG Motion:
Pros:
-Connect to PC Option
-Notification light (green/red)
-Talkback feature for those with poor vision(can be downloaded on the playstore on the lg motion)
-Long press to unlock

Cons:
-No Power Saver option
-No Batter Percent option
-Less options on the camers
-No Lockscreen wallpaper

Upvote 0
Just thought of this, wonder how manytouch points the screen supports.

Using a touchscreen test on my Motion, I registered 6 points of contact before I ran out of room

Edit: check this out, had my girlfriend help me with a touchscreen test on my Motion

2012-12-23-10-00-38.jpg

that's just nitpicking, tho... :p

Upvote 0
I just did a very quick overview of both phones since I had not been keeping up with new Metro phones.

Again, I only quickly glanced at the specs but right off the bat I notice that the best things the ZTE has over the Motion would be:

• Bigger Screen 4" vs 3.5"
  • Bigger Screen has higher resolution 480x800 vs 320x480
  • ZTE has a light sensor which is nice.
What I feel the Motion has over the ZTE (other people can correct me or add more to this list):

• More RAM 1GB vs 512 mb
  • More internal storage 5GB vs 2.3GB
  • Gorilla Glass vs standard glass
  • 1080p video recording vs 720p recording
  • Talk time 5.4 hours vs 4 hours
Certainly the slightly larger screen of the ZTE will make more people interested in it I think.

Me personally,

I rather have all the perks of the Motion vs the bigger screen :)

Reactions: twogbsd
Upvote 0
I feel the same way. Though I think the average consumer who doesn't look at the phone specs may only see the larger screen and not realize the rest of the phone is just not as good.

Even if you are an average customers you have an access to research data such as this forum, walking into the store and just grabbing first thing you like is not wisest idea ever. When I go shopping for things in store which I can buy online, I'm terrified of buying a pile of crap. I always try to find some well put reviews at first.

I guess its somr people nature buying junk, overwise PT Cruiser and Pontiac Aztek would have never been seen on the streets.

Upvote 0
Even if you are an average customers you have an access to research data such as this forum, walking into the store and just grabbing first thing you like is not wisest idea ever. When I go shopping for things in store which I can buy online, I'm terrified of buying a pile of crap. I always try to find some well put reviews at first.

I guess its somr people nature buying junk, overwise PT Cruiser and Pontiac Aztek would have never been seen on the streets.

Zing! :rofl:

Upvote 0
The Motion is hands down , well in my opinion, the best Metro 4G phone for the price. When the phone first came out, I was honestly shocked to see it at only $149. The specs are just awesome for the price. I don't see myself upgrading anytime soon. I have it inside one of these cases...

http://rockycase.com/casesandcovers/images/lg_ms770_apx_blk.jpg

and it keeps it really protected. I have not ONE mark on the phone when you take out of the case, and that is big for me because all my phones I ever owned, I always would drop it by mistake, or have it on my lap in my car, and I would forget and open the door, and fling out like a schmuck, and it would go flying, I just didn't care too much for my previous phones, but this one I really like, and I'm taking real good care of it. I even have a 2nd case of the same kind still wrapped and sealed as a spare.

Upvote 0
-------{QUOTES}-------------------------------------

Android 4.0 was the deciding factor for me. Plus I only paid 80 for it from a guy on craigslist. Almost same hardware as SGIII at a 5th of the price? Why yes I think so.

Zte Avid further specs: (Vellamo)

Board: Snapdragon elden
CPU: Dual-core, 1512MHz

Some minor features compared to the LG Motion:
Pros:
-Connect to PC Option
-Notification light (green/red)
-Talkback feature for those with poor vision(can be downloaded on the playstore on the lg motion)
-Long press to unlock

Cons:
-No Power Saver option
-No Batter Percent option
-Less options on the camers
-No Lockscreen wallpaper

-------{CONTENT}-------------------------------------

Actually, the LG motion shares the same S4 as the Galaxy SIII.

I chose this device (with a locked bootloader) over the ZTE Avid, mostly because I trust LG with building a product. (LG esteem owner as well.)

Snapdragon 4 Specs

That link should show you where the Motion sits stat wise. It is a S4[Plus] (MSM8960) Processor. Safe clock at 1.7 Ghz. Should be able to do 2Ghz like the Galaxy SIII does.

-------{CONCLUSION}-------------------------------------
For the price vs. performance, the brand name trust, and overall happiness. I broke down, tested most of MetroPCS's phones, and I chose the LG Motion. It is a small phone yes, but it packs a punch the size of a High grade phone offers. And soon, it will Destroy others around it. It is a phone that gets picked on, but does amazing things when offered a chance.

(Out of a possible 100 points)

1. LG Motion : 92 points
  2. ZTE Avid : 68 points
  3. CoolPad Quattro : 75 points
  4. Galaxy Admire 4G : 80 points
  5. Galaxy S3 : 98 points
  6. Lg Connect : 83 points
  7. Galaxy S Lightray : 86 points
  8. LG Esteem : 82 points
  9. ZTE Anthem : 74 Points
I did plan on doing a rating for all the android based phones metro offered when I first did this list. I also offered a short review of each device. These were just the 4G phones from the list. They each had pros and cons. And Still the Motion won. Price beat big screen. Same hardware is hard to compare against.

-------{EXTRA BITS}-------------------------------------
You can buy off the internet right now a Micro-usb to HDMI MHL video adapter. You can then use your LG Motion on the television to play games and stuff. Even tho the ZTE Avid should be able to do something (in theory), with the hardware the way it is, I chose the motion.

Upvote 0

I chose this device (with a locked bootloader) over the ZTE Avid, mostly because I trust LG with building a product. (LG esteem owner as well.)

Snapdragon 4 Specs

That link should show you where the Motion sits stat wise. It is a S4[Plus] (MSM8960) Processor. Safe clock at 1.7 Ghz. Should be able to do 2Ghz like the Galaxy SIII does.

For the price vs. performance, the brand name trust, and overall happiness. I broke down, tested most of MetroPCS's phones, and I chose the LG Motion. It is a small phone yes, but it packs a punch the size of a High grade phone offers. And soon, it will Destroy others around it. It is a phone that gets picked on, but does amazing things when offered a chance.

I did plan on doing a rating for all the android based phones metro offered when I first did this list. I also offered a short review of each device. These were just the 4G phones from the list. They each had pros and cons. And Still the Motion won. Price beat big screen. Same hardware is hard to compare against.

You can buy off the internet right now a Micro-usb to HDMI MHL video adapter. You can then use your LG Motion on the television to play games and stuff. Even tho the ZTE Avid should be able to do something (in theory), with the hardware the way it is, I chose the motion.

Your extra bit about the HDMI isn't true. Fyi

Upvote 0

Snapdragon 4 Specs

I checked monoprice dot com and they have such an adapter, but it doesn't show the LG Motion as a supported device. It costs less than $10.00, so I might take a gamble on it.

If there is an adapter that supports the LG Motion, can someone please post it?

Upvote 0
When my 2nd iPhone contract with AT&T expired at a cost of $80.00 per month, I decided to look for a new provider and device.

I did a LOT of research and came to the same conclusion as many others here also have - that the LG Motion is one of the best mid-level "bang for the buck" phones currently on the market, if not the best.

Spending nearly $1,000 a year on cell service is insane, not to mention $300-$400 for the phone.

Since I don't use a lot of Data as I have WiFi at Home, Work and pretty much every public place such as Bars, Restaurants, and other places I go have free WiFi, I opted for the $30.00 monthly special which is the $40.00 plan but discounted if you activate your phone at an authorized Metro PC store.

So for a mere $30.00 a month, I get Unlimited Calls and Texts and 250 MB of Data which my history with my iPhones showed I rarely went above that amount of Data per month due to the vast availability of WiFi.

$1.00 a day for Unlimited Calls and Texting. :call:

That's hard to beat. :D

I also get better cellular service with Metro than with AT&T - not one dropped call in 2+ months and I'm saving $50.00 a month, and I'm paying about half as much for the device than if I bought a comparable iPhone.

And I don't have to use that damn iTunes app. I hate iTunes.

The Android ICS OS is far more accessible, although I "jailbreaked" my past iPhones, the unrooted Android ICS is about as accessible as a JB'd iPhone.

There are other monthly providers out there, but Metro, IMO, is the best and with the T-Mobile merger coming up, the service will only get better according to the FAQ on the Metro PCS web site.

And they claim we won't see a price increase for monthly service either, but will see faster 4G speeds and expanded coverage.

Since I've gotten my LG Motion, several of my friends and co-workers have also bought one or are planning on buying one once they are "let out" of their contract with their current provider.

One guy bought a Sammy S-3 when they were on sale for $400.00 thru Metro.

I'll save about $600.00 a year going with Metro PCS instead of staying with AT&T.

Not to mention saving another $150.00 or so for the cost of the handset, plus I own the phone and can sell it and buy something else next year or whenever I want whether it is thru Metro PCS or another provider, unlike an iPhone which isn't yours until your 2-year commitment is up.

OK, enough back-patting about how smart we are to go with this device and a no-contract provider. ;)

Reactions: jpizle
Upvote 0
For everyone's questions concerning the ZTE Avid 4G I have answers as I have one now as well as the LG Motion 4G and Samsung Galaxy S III! When compared to the Motion at the same price of $150 the Avid is truely a better device! Like the Motion and GS3 it does, in fact have, the Snapdragon S4 dual core processor with the Adreno 225 GPU NOT the Snapdragon S3 found in the ZTE Anthem! It does have 1GB's of ram NOT 512MB like whats going around! Also like the Motion, the advertised 1.2GHZ clock speed of the processor is wrong, the Avid is also clocked at 1.5GHZ which also matches the GS3! It does only have 2.5GB's of internal storage as opposed to the Motion's 5GB's BUT... and this is a BIG BUT, the Avid STILL HAS THE ADVANTAGE, because unlike the Motion (and even the GS3, although it has 16GB's of internal storage) it has APPS TO SD! On the Motion I could bearly fit two big games where as the Avid i can have up to 32GB's of storage for games which is even more than what you can even put on the GS3! It also has a 4" display over the Motion's tiny 3.5" screen! Has a pulse notification light like the GS3 and even has SRS sound enhancement and this thing seriously gets LOUD! Beats any HTC/Beats Audio phone with or without headphones hands down! Last but not least it runs STOCK VANILLA Android Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4 like a Nexus device (would be better if it was Jelly Bean of course)! But all in all for $150 it's an amazing device that is better than the Motion in everyway and even has a couple of advantages over the mighty Galaxy S III!

There's a couple of videos on youtube showing the Avid against the Motion and even the Galaxy S III using both Antutu and Quadrant and the Avid beat both with both benchmark programs! Now I can see that against the Motion definitely but as for the GS3 (1GB ram vs. 2GB ram) I think the Avid winning those benchmarks have more to do with the fact that its running pure, stock, vanilla Android 4.0.4 vs. the Galaxy S III running Android 4.0.4 with Touchwiz/Nature!

Please keep in mind this little mini-review is based on devices being stock not rooted! I'm aware of GL TO SD on the play store but I'm also aware of the problems it has with Android 4.0+ and with games using the android/obb folder instead of the /data folder, problems that I'm sure are being worked on but as we know 95% of consumers don't root/jailbreak their devices! I love to customize myself but this is strictly about the stock devices as you would see on real review sites!

Upvote 0
Even though specs are similar to the Motion, I feel the Motion is better. The Motion's screen is better, the Avid's screen is washed out...

Avid can go blow up for all I care....

And the Avid does have 512MB of ram....and how can its advantage be A2SD, when ICS does not support A2SD??

No the Avid has more than 512 how you gonna tell me when i own the thing? It reports 670 not sure if its 768 or a gig but thats what it reports! As far as apps to sd... i thought exactly what you said! That all ICS+ devices didnt have that feature but obviously we were both wrong as this does! I will take screen shots later of the memory and apps to sd once i get to my laptop!

Edit: Does anyone have a picture sharing account that I can upload these photos to? Cause i have a few!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones