1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Any Hope for Skype with Video?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by artbytes, Apr 7, 2011.

1. artbytes

artbytes Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 7, 2011
    I got an Atrix just a little while ago. I really wanted to have a phone that could do video chats with family members who live at a distance. The only two phones with ATT that have front cameras now are the iPhone 4 and the Atrix.

I really like the hardware for the Atrix a whole lot and I like the phone. But, since the rest of my family is all on iPhones, I'm wondering if I made the right choice. My family isn't very techie and I'm meeting with a bit of resistance to installing Tango - the only video chat that seems to work between my phone and the iPhones. If you can connect to the server, it's very good. I haven't had any luck with Fring, and Ooloo is not there, yet, for the Atrix or iPhone. (It's not supported, yet, and calls, but doesn't have any sound. - Looks promising, though.)

In earlier chats about Skype, it sounded like Skype was supposed to have released a video version of the Android app at the end of Feb. I guess that didn't happen. Right now, we can't even voice chat with the Atrix, because all the other person hears is static. I was just hoping that someone had heard something more recently about what to expect from Skype.

At any rate, I would hate to have to return my phone, and I have to make up my mind soon. If Skype with Video would work, soon, it would be good, because most of my family is familiar with Skype and we could use that. Do I keep my phone and hope, or do I have to return it and get a sure thing - the iPhone?

Advertisement

2. gregs887

gregs887 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 21, 2010
    Moorpark, CA
    I think there was a hack floating around for a while, google is your friend.

If not try Tango, it makes video calls over wifi and 3g and its free.

artbytes likes this.