• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

David Dubz

Android Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2012
United States
Like usual, I messed up my phone, and the last thing I want to do in my situation is get a new one

The framework-res.apk file is corrupted. So my phone will boot, but then constantly keep soft booting to the virgin mobile booting screen.

I've factory reseted it from bootloader, but it obviously didn't work since it doesn't mess with the framework-res.apk

I've tried adb and fastboot, but both don't recognize the device in bootloader or when the phone keeps soft rebooting.

Any hope tp get it working again?

I think the factory reset disables the debugging option, which would keep adb from being able to see the phone. I think it also disables the diag mode, which enables stuff like flashing a firmware.

Looks like you better get a new one under warranty, then toss a few bucks into the fund for a custom recovery before trying whatever you were doing on your replacement phone :p .

Reactions: Artine
Upvote 0
How can you get the phone into diag mode though if it won't even boot up.

Exactly. Not to mention the program hashtag said to use keeps having the same error: "can't load skin.dll." And even when I get it, it still messes up. So no go.

The only way this is going to be fixed is to get adb or fastboot working in recovery or download mode, or get the original .tot file for the phone onto the internal memory while it's in download or recovery mode.

OR

Somehow repair the framework-res.apk

Upvote 0
How can you get the phone into diag mode though if it won't even boot up.

That's why I said somehow. It's my understanding that DIAG mode stays at whatever you set it as. So if he didn't disable it, then it should still be on.

As far as skin.dll, it happens randomly to people. Just put this attachment in your LGNPST folder and it will start up.

EDIT: For some reason it won't let me add an attachment. I put it in my box, so here- https://www.box.com/s/7c8abbbebeac213130df

Upvote 0
That's why I said somehow. It's my understanding that DIAG mode stays at whatever you set it as. So if he didn't disable it, then it should still be on.

As far as skin.dll, it happens randomly to people. Just put this attachment in your LGNPST folder and it will start up.

EDIT: For some reason it won't let me add an attachment. I put it in my box, so here- https://www.box.com/s/7c8abbbebeac213130df

Thanks for the .dll and the tip about the .tot. However, on the webpage, it says...

5) Select the dll in LGNPST
Open up LGNPST and you should see 1 port connected. Go to File > Select DLL > VM696.dll

6) Choose the phone
Double click the phone that is on standby and the Phone Setting should light up (this is now a good time to back up in case the flash hoses the phone)

However the program is not detecting the phone. It doesn't say 1 port connected. I put my phone in regular boot with the virgin mobile logo just flashing, it didn't detect the phone. And I also put it in download mode. How do I make the program detect the phone?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the .dll and the tip about the .tot. However, on the webpage, it says...

5) Select the dll in LGNPST
Open up LGNPST and you should see 1 port connected. Go to File > Select DLL > VM696.dll

6) Choose the phone
Double click the phone that is on standby and the Phone Setting should light up (this is now a good time to back up in case the flash hoses the phone)

However the program is not detecting the phone. It doesn't say 1 port connected. I put my phone in regular boot with the virgin mobile logo just flashing, it didn't detect the phone. And I also put it in download mode. How do I make the program detect the phone?

It can't see your phone because DIAG mode isn't enabled. So if you can't flash it, and you can't push to it with adb, then it looks like you're going to have to get a replacement :/

BTW, did you try "adb wait-for-device shell"? The wait for device keeps scanning until something pops up. It would be far more accurate at timing it than a person could be.

Upvote 0
It can't see your phone because DIAG mode isn't enabled. So if you can't flash it, and you can't push to it with adb, then it looks like you're going to have to get a replacement :/

BTW, did you try "adb wait-for-device shell"? The wait for device keeps scanning until something pops up. It would be far more accurate at timing it than a person could be.

I did try it. Ugh oh well. I can't get a new phone cause this is my replacement. I'll just go back to my optimus v

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones